Advanced Email Settings On An Android

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We use email names based on internet domain names we own.

BUT on the inbound path they are diverted (via our internet domain name provider) into meaningless real email addresses. (this avoids me having to pay for dedicated email servers  :innocent  )

On normal PC's this presents no problem. You set up the account first for the temporary inbound holding email address, then change the "From" settings to the email address based on our domain names.

For completeness I also set up the outgoing servers to be the domain name hosts servers so it will send regardless of what connection you have (rather than using in internet service providers outgoing servers)

I'm now trying to set this up on the Android for my daughter.

Step one is working fine, as is step 3, sending and receiving, but "from" is still set to the holding email address.

I can't find anywhere on the android to change the "from" address to what I want it to be, rather than the same as the receiving email address.

Outgoing settings?

I have my domain email set up through my Android OK, it is a Cloud9 domain, and I can receive and send emails OK, and it gives my domain email addy.

Is this what you are trying to do?

Yes they have to be different as on the incoming leg I just use the free "email diversion" option from the domain name host that sends them to some irellevant (but essential) email address to await collection.

When I set up this email account the first choice I had was to select if it was a POP3 or an Exchange email address.  I chose POP3 as that's what all my other machines (PC and Ubuntu) have it set up as. But should I have instead selected "Exchange" ?  I didn't choose that as I don't know what it is, but would it give more settings?

Yes it does, but, if you want mobile email IMAP is the way you need to do it, plus, if you want mobile, and PC email on the same account then IMAP is definitely what you need.

IMAP is aimed at mobile & mobile/fixed email retrieval.

POP3 is aimed at fixed computer email.

Exchange is for an Exchange email server, or equivalent.

ive got IMAP on my android

I have the same 3 accounts on all my devices, if I read an email on one it shows as read on them all, same if I send on one device, its shows in the sent folder of everything

PC phone tablet etc

Okay dumb question.

K9 mail works.

But where the hell have they hidden the address book to store all your email contacts?  I can't find it?

It uses "people" (your contact list)....

Just type a person's name into the to bar and it'll give you options... Or click on the + symbol next to the to bar and then you can browse your contacts

What contacts list (this is an android tablet NOT a phone)

I have always found the contact list is part of the email program (at least on pc's)

are you saying the contact list is a separate program? (sorry separate APP?)

I take it I need to load another APP then?

Right....

I have k9 on both my phone and tablet... I have my google contacts synched on both devices (any change to my contact list on 1 device will change the contact list on the other device)

"People" which is your contact list is a built in app within android

Latest posts