Solic 200 question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonlad

Reaction score
Hi all.:).
Just wondering about the above which I have fitted at ours.
I am also seeing 20-30w of power pulled from the grid on occasion when the Solic is sending power to the immersion.
I have contacted the seller who says that it is likely down to electrical noise at our property. He also says that the unit has to slide to zero which I can understand. My observations lead me to think there is something else going on though.
Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this?👍

I'm not an electrician, nor even a PV professional, but I've been used to doing practical electrical things now for over 50 years, and I reckon I'm perfectly capable of following installation instructions, especially if they are as straightforward as for the Solic Wireless immersion controller/diverter.

Your posting about the Solic 200 is the only mention I can find which has something in common with the problems which I am experiencing. Now I am wondering whether you, or anyone else, has any more useful comments to make about this curious phenomenon of importing from grid.

My Solic Wireless does more than reduce PV export to zero; it goes further and actually draws in power from the grid. However, all the LEDs on both the main unit and sensor function as expected. For example, at one stage the PV was generating 1150w, nothing being consumed by the house (all circuits other than PV and 3000w immersion turned off), smart meter in-house display showed importing 270w. The actual smart meter also confirmed power being imported. Just as strange is that the power drawn from grid increases with increased PV generation, and decreases with decreased PV generation, the precise opposite of what is expected.

Schematically, this device is installed in much the same way as for the Solar-iBoost, execept that the remote sensor is powered by a plug-in 9v power supply, rather than batteries.

In case it is relevant I would mention that this is a modest 1800w nominal PV installation, installed 2010, with a SolarEdge inverter. Also the mains tails are unusually long (at least 7m), the consumer unit (just below kitchen ceiling) and outside meter box being remote from each other. This is because a single storey extension has been added to the bungalow. The sensor clamp is clamped on one of these tails in the roof space about a meter away from the consumer unit. There are several house circuits very close to the tails and clamping point, but I can see no practicable way of avoiding this, if that is relevant. Experimentally attaching the sensor clamp to a tail in the outside meter cupboard and using an extension lead into which to plug in the 9v power supply, so that could also be in the meter cupboard, made no difference.

Unfortunately it turned out this unit was not new, although it had been sold to me as new. The supplier is willing to provide a full refund, or let me have it at a very reduced price if I can get it working, or supply a new unit at a discount. This will be no good to me if there is something odd about my set up which will cause the same problem all over again.

Please do not hi-jack posts, it causes confusion. Original post can be found if you Click Here

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all.:).
Just wondering about the above which I have fitted at ours.
I am also seeing 20-30w of power pulled from the grid on occasion when the Solic is sending power to the immersion.
I have contacted the seller who says that it is likely down to electrical noise at our property. He also says that the unit has to slide to zero which I can understand. My observations lead me to think there is something else going on though.
Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this?👍.

@devonlad have you got the amp clamp on the right way around, or possibly put it on the nuetral meter tail?
Well, according to the installation instructions (attached), it doesn't matter which tail is used, and neither does it matter which way round the clip is (Key Feature no.7). However, I have tried each tail in turn, and reversed the clip. Makes no difference. Thanks for your suggestion, though.

Attachments

• key-features-04082020.pdf
    268.2 KB · Views: 1
  • user-and-fitting-instructions.pdf
    173.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
All inverters are in a feedback loop rather than a feed forward. They react to changing conditions AFTER the event. If for example you switch a kettle on, you will see the full 2 or 3kW imported from the grid for a few seconds while the inverter ramps up it's output voltage, sometimes overshooting causing a momentary export of energy. The opposite occurs when the kettle switches off, it will be exporting energy whilst it reduces it's output voltage. My Growatt inverter seems to be hovering around 25w import or export most of the time.

Well, according to the installation instructions (attached), it doesn't matter which tail is used, and neither does it matter which way round the clip is (Key Feature no.7). However, I have tried each tail in turn, and reversed the clip. Makes no difference. Thanks for your suggestion, though.
Ah yes, I forgot that you calibrate the amp clamp by turning on a load like the kettle.

All inverters are in a feedback loop rather than a feed forward. They react to changing conditions AFTER the event. If for example you switch a kettle on, you will see the full 2 or 3kW imported from the grid for a few seconds while the inverter ramps up it's output voltage, sometimes overshooting causing a momentary export of energy. The opposite occurs when the kettle switches off, it will be exporting energy whilst it reduces it's output voltage. My Growatt inverter seems to be hovering around 25w import or export most of the time.
Thank you for your interest, and yes I get that - there is a short delay before the inverter reacts to an appliance being turned on or off.

What I am saying is, by way of example:

PV is generating 1150w according to SolarEdge inverter.
All house circuits other than PV and SolicWireless/immersion turned off, so no grid power being consumed (except for a minimal amount to power the wireless sensor).
Immersion is calling for power i.e. thermostat closed.
Therefore 1150w should be directed to the immersion, and none exported to the grid.

Well, the smart meter confirms that power is indeed not being exported. Instead it says that power is being imported and the in-house display shows 270w. Perhaps this means that 1150w + 270w is being fed to the immersion, but the object of this device is to avoid use of grid power.

Surely this can't be right. The only thing that varies from then on is that the power imported varies up or down as the PV output goes up or down with the light level.

Ah yes, I forgot that you calibrate the amp clamp by turning on a load like the kettle.
Doesn’t matter which line it’s on I’ve tried both still just 3 red lights ,recommissioning done a no. Of times I suspect I’ve been sent another dud unit he says he will refund my £120 but he won’t repair the old unit although he gives a 10 year warranty only had it 4 years and this is the 2nd time it’s gone wrong think I’ll invest in a different unit

Interestingly our Solic 200 stopped working while we were away last week for no apparent reason - discovered by son when the hot water wasn’t !

to reset it, I simply turned off the mcb for it / the immersion and it reset ok, and resumed sending excess power to the immersion

ive never bothered measuring the power going in or out of our house when the sun is out

Doesn’t matter which line it’s on I’ve tried both still just 3 red lights ,recommissioning done a no. Of times I suspect I’ve been sent another dud unit he says he will refund my £120 but he won’t repair the old unit although he gives a 10 year warranty only had it 4 years and this is the 2nd time it’s gone wrong think I’ll invest in a different unit
Is the water cold in your tank?

No just warm from the back boiler in fireplace but even when cold the Solic 200 doesn’t put any power to the immersion heater

Interestingly our Solic 200 stopped working while we were away last week for no apparent reason - discovered by son when the hot water wasn’t !

to reset it, I simply turned off the mcb for it / the immersion and it reset ok, and resumed sending excess power to the immersion

ive never bothered measuring the power going in or out of our house when the sun is out
I’ve tried resetting a no of times same with new unit buy nothing but 3 red lights

Two daft questions intended to assist not to insult ;-)
1 The immersion heater works without the solic, i.e., the immersion itself isn't faulty?
2 There's no battery storage as part of your PV system? - I read somewhere, poss midsummer or earthwise website but can't find it now, that solic 200 wasn't compatible with these

This sounds similar to the problems we had with a customers Solic 200, i emailed them 3 times and never heard a thing back, draw your own conclusions from that! The one we had started just needing a reset like yours then started doing a reset loop forever. The only thing i can think of is that its calibration routine is switched off after a time period? So if you don't calibrate it in time it will settle on the incorrect value of base load hence you are always importing. Try turning the breaker off again and doing the calibrate with a kettle and report back. If it doesn't work i can highly recommend pv router https://mk2pvrouter.co.uk/ Robin who designed it is very helpful and can provide kits of parts or semi built units. Perfect for the skilled hmoe installer ;-)
Cheers
Stuart