Advanced Email Settings On An Android

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't find "People" on my Android.

there's a thing called "contacts" but that only seems to be able to search for contacts, not add new ones.

I've tried searching the App Store for "People" and all I get are various games containing the word "People"  

Why does it have to be this hard?   headbang   headbang

Okay, getting somewhere SLOWLY.

If I send an email to the android, and click on the From email address, I get the option to add that email to the CONTACTS

Next time I send an email I can press the icon of "someone's head" and can choose an email address from my contacts.

I still can't for the life of me find how I can just go and manually add someone to the contact list, short of getting them to send an email.    :C

Or how to manually edit the details of someone in the contact list. For instance the email I sent hs me identified by my name, but since this is my daughters Android, she might want it listed as "daddy" so how would I change that?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Contacts" is just a previous version of "People"

If the tablet (when it was first turned on) was sent up to the same gmail account as the users phone and the contacts synched then all the contacts from the phone should just be there in the "contacts" app,,, these will then be accessible to any other app that needs to access them

"The users phone"

We don't have posh phones and in any case our phones and this android are totally different.  This android does not know about and is not linked to any phone.  It just stands alone as a sort of portable computer.

I just want to know how to manually type the details of a "contact" into the contacts / peoples list.

It's not rocket science surely? but they seem to be doing a pretty damn good job of making it totally non intuitive how to do what should be a simple task.

That's the problem.

the "contacts" app only gives me the option to list contacts I have and search within them, NOT to add a new one by manually entering the email address etc.

I'm obviously missing something obvious here. Surely it should not be this hard?

Dave,

try and start a new message,

when you type the contact in it might give you an option to save it to your contacts list.

my phone does that, so, it might just be the same with your tablet.

either that, or, log on to the email account on the PC, sync it, then log on to email on the tablet, and sync that,

it should then sync both together, hopefully.

Canoeboy said:
iPhone works really well - has decent contacts and decent mail app all built in  :innocent   :slap
yep, it does do that, but it also copies all your info to crapple head office as well as CC-ing them into every email you send or receive,  :slap

data protection and all that,,,,,,    :pmsl1:

That works steps.

But it's a bit more clumsy.

Create a new email and type in the email address.  No option to save it to contacts yet.

Save the message to drafts.  Open the message again and then you have the option to save the email address to contacts.  Not exactly "slick"

This really confirms these toy computers are "consumers" of data. they only work properly when connected to something else to feed them the data they need (in this case contacts)  They are very poor "originators" of data.

As to syncing it to a phone, that's above my head.  We set up a goggle account for this tablet and set up a new @gmail email address that's only ever used if we want to buy an app from the play store.  Quite how one on a different unrelated phone that does not have a google account and just has a contacts list could be synced to this android is a complete mystery to me.

I'm obviously getting too old for all this interlinked stuff.

Vanilla android has the feature built in for tablets.

What kind of tablet is it?

Is there menu button whilst your in the contacts app?

Usually 3 dots (depending on the OS version)

If you have a Gmail address that this device uses then log into it on a pc and add the contacts there,,, they should then appear on the tablet

Android works in a different way to Windows etc... It's more modular , with modules being able to access the "centrally stored" data (contacts)

What you mean log into gmail web mail on a browser screen?

I don't normally use web mail, but I will give it a try.

EDIT:

Tried it. NO LUCK

the Gmail web mail contacts screen only has options to import contacts (from a CSV file for example)

No plain simple option just a ADD a contact by typing in the email address.

God, Google is getting as bad as Apple.

Last edited by a moderator:
this one?

83331_c2b7a3d573b5024e678c.jpg

Well I tried this, and no, our Android does not sync with the mother ship and update it's email settings.

BUT that's probably because we have confused the poor little alien, by going against it's will and inflicting an email address based on a domain name we own (so what's wrong with wanting an email that's your name @ your house name?)

So it transpires these things only work "properly" if you sell your sole, and only use an email address provided by god google

Dave, on the PC log into the Gmail account that is registered to the tablet, then import the contacts that are in the @yourname account, 

Sync it, then log into the Gmail account on the tablet, and sync that too, now, if you need the contacts on @yourname on the tablet you can import them from your Gmail account.

I have no idea why it won't work simply adding emails for you, I have a nexus 7 and it's works exactly like a keyboardless pc/laptop for me, whether I'm running Android or Ubuntu on it it still behaves like a normal computer.

And it runs on 7 different email addresses, 

Latest posts