Advice Pat testing dishwasher

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonmwin

Reaction score
Hi

I pat tested a dishwasher today and it failed on sub leakage 3.95 , spoke to hotpoint and they said they will have to send a engineer out and if they don't find anything will cost me 105 quid as it was only 3months old i was wondering it anybody had come across this before.

thanks

No sorry

Did have on Friday a sky + box give "external voltage" warning when tested, only the power plugged in no antenna coax or scarts.

Generally washing machines dishwashers etc will fail pating due to circuitry inside them My old meter has a 10mA function which gets over that. Why would you be pating a three month old machine manufacturers cover product for first year. Welcome to the forum by the way.

Why would you be pating a three month old machine manufacturers cover product for first year.
I PAT new and old kit. New stuff has been known to fail due to genuine faults or other errors or omissions. It's also on the asset register then as well, worth having a reading for the kit at new to compare against as time goes on.

I do pat testing but industry one. I have never pat tested a washin machine. In my experience, everything where water is involved is nearly always high Leak. I think they not gonna find anythin wrong with that. I would test it every other week just to see, if it changes.

it was the health and safty guy said he wanted everything pat testing even the new stuff,

Thank for the response really appreciate the help

Hello, in my experiance of pat testing equipement in a kitchen based environment, i tested an electronic till that had a high earth leakage 0f 7.5mA. I was gonna fail it untill i noticed it was sitting on a stailess steel work surface along with various other appliances. so i sat the till on a book, removing any other ouside interferance and re tested it. the result ended up at 0.6mA. So as a ckeck just make sure the appliance is insulated from any other equipement. i.e not touching any pipework or metal surfaces. :)

Binky,

Sorry mate but there is no legal requirement to PAT anything! ;)

The legal requirements come from PUWER98 & EAWR89.

PAT is just one means of attempting to show compliance with Statutory legislation.

Can't you just do a visual inspection if necessary? That's what we were taught when I did the course.

As far as I'm concerned manufacturers' testing would negate the need for in-service inspection and testing of new equipment and it's quite daft to suggest otherwise. Although I do accept the point about giving you a "base line".

In fact I thought the Code of Practice specifically states that new equipment wouldn't normally need to be inspected and tested (although I don't have it on me to check).

Latest posts