Again I feel we are being cheated !

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why ?   Well may you ask !!!!       You did ask didn't you ?

Those lithium button batteries , 3V  , like an old shilling , used for car key fobs & watches .  I use them in a Snark clamp on  guitar tuner  ...I get a pack of two Energiser in ASDA but they won't work so I dig out a multi meter and they are showing 3.22V  ....I put the old one back in & it comes on but dim ...I try the new ones again , no good ,  looking at the old one its an identical Energiser , remember getting it from ASDA .............   hang on !  No its not identical , its gourgetting well noticabley  thinner so when inserted into device theres no contact between top & bottom .  

I shall be remonstrating with Mr Walmart  tomorrow.    

I usually say my name is Kerching   ...puts the fear of the Allmighty up them !!!

This is after a morning going to finish a door entry intercom which should have taken 1/2 hour  but no ...it won't call the telephone , door release works fine , you can talk but only faintly . :C   This seems par for the course these days .....take it out , down to wholesalers , gets technical on the phone ,  Ah Sorry about this , we get this every day , the wiring diagram is wrong ,  move the wire in No.7  to No.6  and all will be well .    OK it was but you just don't need it do you ?   Nail it to the wall ...wire it up ...test it ..it works..customer happy.....ride off into the sunset  to the sound of the William Tell overture accompanied by your trusty Indian companion , Ranjit.     

I thought of that but I think it will short out the electronics stuff in there..............I'll take the old , thick 'un with me ans ask to see another make .

Could tell them I should have been at Glastenbury today ...now 10,000 people want their money back  :innocent

Re these CR3032 batteries. I have one in my chart plotter on the boat to retain it's memory. The original one lasted many years. The first replacement lasted 3 years. The last 2 have started giving "low battery" warnings after just a few months.  What's going on here then?

Last edited by a moderator:
so you didnt install it to the manufacturers instructions then?? expect the electric police to come for you for that
The manufacturer's instructions were wrong Andy so where does one go from there , its not covered in the Regs . always assume they are carved in stone .

ProDave , I think this is the order of things these days , hence the title of my thread , " Again we are being cheated" .   Is'nt it called the Dissapearing Mars Bar syndrome or something .

Its nothing new , when I were a lad   ( cue music from The New World Symphony 2 Largo)    thee could buy a bag 'o chips as threepen'th ....fourpen'th...sixpen'th...ninepenth and a shillings wuth .     A shillings worth of chips would be enough for a family of four . 

Now chips come in one size @ £1.40 .    ( Yes I know back then yer da  earned £15 /week old money )  but look at the choice in helpings . 

Mars bar.....  half the size today.

Petrol sold in litres now but most of us still imagine we are getting a gallon when we pay our £1.12 /ltr  ...we are really paying  £5.04  / gallon. 

But then beer is about £26 /gallon

Bottled water in a B,ham restaurant @ £13 / gallon 

the de-regulation of weights and measures is to blame. Jam and honey used to be in 1lb jars, choccy bars used to set weights etc etc, so now we have stuff that looks similar but has actually been reduced in weight

Are you sure it's not a cr2025 you bought instead of a cr2032 and that's why it's thinner. The 20 refers to diameter and the 25/32 refers to thickness.

Yes Rapparee & Mr Onoff ....  it was indeed the case ,  I thought all those things were the same  ....they looked the same  .... :Blushing :Blushing

Own fault ...just grabbed the first batts thinking  ah  just what I need .

Its all a learning curve. 

I hadn't realised my mistake when returning to see Mr Walmart , I showed the nice lady  ( May have been Mrs Walmart)  the two thin pretenders  and the original one , she agreed , didn't pick up on the type numbers though  and would have had them back had I not destroyed the bubble pack .  They have to be in the original packaging even though you have to rip it apart to extricate the batteries .

So I was left with two batts that were no good to me ,    called in a proverbial Indian corner newsagent ,  most helpfull , very knowledgable on batteries .

" You are having the the wrong number here  these are 2025s  you are wanting 2032 s   ....here are two correct ones ...I vill buy the other two for £2  if you are not needing them "

Jobs a good 'un!  

(  Can't get guitar back in tune now  though ) :C

:slap   Thats because I wrote it in an Indian accent  :slap

It sums up for me how business minded our Indian shopkeepers are  .....who else would offer to buy my two unsuitable batteries ?

We have much to learn .

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Rapparee & Mr Onoff ....  it was indeed the case ,  I thought all those things were the same  ....they looked the same  .... :Blushing :Blushing

Own fault ...just grabbed the first batts thinking  ah  just what I need .

Its all a learning curve. 

I hadn't realised my mistake when returning to see Mr Walmart , I showed the nice lady  ( May have been Mrs Walmart)  the two thin pretenders  and the original one , she agreed , didn't pick up on the type numbers though  and would have had them back had I not destroyed the bubble pack .  They have to be in the original packaging even though you have to rip it apart to extricate the batteries .

So I was left with two batts that were no good to me ,    called in a proverbial Indian corner newsagent ,  most helpfull , very knowledgable on batteries .

" You are having the the wrong number here  these are 2025s  you are wanting 2032 s   ....here are two correct ones ...I vill buy the other two for £2  if you are not needing them "

Jobs a good 'un!  

Can't get guitar back in tune now  though ) :C
Ah stop worrying , Ive done it by ear ,  which is a novelty in itself TBH.