Alarm Won't Turn Off

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finchfinch

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just moved into a new house where an A1 intruder alarm system is installed. The Alarm was powered off on the switchboard when I moved in. When I turn the switch on the house alarm goes off and I can't turn it off!! I've tried putting into installer mode so I can reset the code by keying in 9999 but it doesn't make any difference.

I have to turn the switch off via the board to turn it off. Somebody please help, is this an easy fix?

Hi,

I've just moved into a new house where an A1 intruder alarm system is installed. The Alarm was powered off on the switchboard when I moved in. When I turn the switch on the house alarm goes off and I can't turn it off!! I've tried putting into installer mode so I can reset the code by keying in 9999 but it doesn't make any difference.

I have to turn the switch off via the board to turn it off. Somebody please help, is this an easy fix?

Hello finchfinch.....

Are you sure its not one of these hi-tech facial recognition systems that recognises your mug-shots from crimewatch....

so activates then autodials the police????????  :innocent   :innocent   

Opps sorry! Guinness   :slap

serious questions.....

1/  When you say switchboard..  do you mean the fuse box AKA consumer unit??

2/  I guess the new house you have moved into isn't actually a "NEW" building....

just new to you...

But how old is the property...

and how old is the alarm system????

How long has the Alarm system being switched off???

Could the battery be well and truly dead as a dodo!?

In which case...

some alarm system do a few weird things when a very dead battery is still connected..

because the power supply cannot run BOTH the alarm panel AND charge a knackered battery..

You probably cannot post any photos yet because you havent made 10+ posts..

But if one of the Admins tweak your profile..  (they will let you know on this thread)

Can you post a photo of your alarm panel...

while you are waiting........

Guinness   Guinness   Guinness

welcome to the madhouse!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum. A1 alarms have been around for a while. I would imagine something has gone faulty and that is why its been isolated. I think personally if its 10 years old it probably will need replacing. Existing wiring hopefully could be reused which should cut costs.

Hi,

Just to clarify a few things,

'The Alarm was powered off on'   Is the alarm powered from its own circuit at your 'fuseboard' or consumer unit & that is the switch you refer to ?

'When I turn the switch on the house alarm goes off'  Do you mean when you switch on the mains supply the alarm goes on (not off)-it activates ?

To enter engineer mode press 'program function' (all led's illuminate)  followed by 9999. If this is the correct code the 'day' & '24hour' led's will be flashing. I cant see in my manual if the engineer number can be changed & no instructions are given on crashing the system and reprogramming. The A1 was a fairly basic panel that can be replaced  fairly cheaply.

if the powers been of for some time then all the backup battery`s will be dead and depending how old may not revive . to find which fuse/circuit breaker the alarm is fed from  as it  won`t be fed from service fuse  i hope lol you will need to put up with the alarm till you hit the magic one then work out how o isolate it if it is faulty ,if the codes not  on default then you will need to reset alarm back to factory settings, many alarms have a jumper in main panel which you link out ,some panels will not reset engineering code in that case cheaper to bin it  lol 

Latest posts