All the gear, no idea.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A simple job today. Fit a new ceiling light over the stairs.

The house had been rewired 5 years ago and whoever did it, fitted wall lights on the stairs, and the new owner wanted it back to a ceiling light.

Well it certainly had been rewired. It looked like a very well done job. Cables beautifully clipped in the loft. All new coloured cable so must be in the last few years as stated. Inside the CU was really neatly dressed, the work of a craftsman who took care in his work.

BUT. Not a single RCD anywhere. No labelling whatsoever on the CU, no circuits identified, and of course no certificates. CU was in an awkward place (in the eaves of a dormer bungalow fed by split con) no sign of water or gas bonding.

I can only describe this as the work of a high class cowboy. Clearly someone who's done a lot of wiring, but let down by total lack of understanding of regulations.

And of course when I pointed this out to the customer, they were not interested. "It must be okay, it's just been rewired" so they only wanted to pay for the new light fitting.

Sometimes you wonder why you bother. : headbang

I was about to say " So much for Part Pee " but of course you don't have it up there . I think thats correct is'nt it Dave ?? :innocent

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:23 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:17 ----------

I often wonder at all the jobs I go to which have been rewired or had extensive electric works carried out but 98% still have some sort of naff main earth connection to the incoming cable sheath and a poor Ze ( TN-S) Just seems thats its just us who are getting them upgraded.

Showers installed, kitchen refurbs , full and semi rewires but the main earth ignored and yes, fairly often no main bonding installed.

Scary how many of these guys are out there and very frustrating when your advice falls on deaf ears

maybe someone was practicing our 'can you rewire a house without an RCD' thread.

Reminds me of the time I was sent to check on a subbie & the firm's boy rewiring a 3 bed semi (I was a subbie myself but had previously worked for the boss for 8 years). I walked in to find the boy connecting a 10mm main bond to the kitchen sink, a quick look at the mains position revealed a 16mm main earth to the gas pipe... I found the subbie sat on the edge of the bath, wiring the C/H controller in the airing cupboard which was next to a room stat, in the airing cupboard...

A few questions from me regarding the proper way to connect a main earth to a TN-C-S system and why being able to turn the central heating on from in the bath wasn't such a great idea led to him picking his tool box up & walking out. He never did come & ask for his wages for the 4 days he did. When I did the inspection & test the workmanship wasn't bad at all, but clearly no comprehension of BS7671 whatsoever.