Always A Problem Near To The End

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin Spark

Reaction score
Did 1/2 days portable appliance testing today for local salon.  Found a few faults that were never picked up by previous sticker brigade ie incorrect fuse sizes, plug tops without sleeved live and neutral pins etc..  customer said last year the guy did it really quickly shifting his paper from one side of the room to the other :innocent  and he tried to stiff him on the price as well.  something like £600 for 60 items!

Well, I was just finishing off in the kitchen area and came to the very last item the tumble dryer.  Pulled it out from under the worktop and could see the cable going under the adjacent cupboard.  But then I could not find a socket as the cable continued further along.  Pulled all the plinths out, had to put the tumble dryer back in its own hole, then pull out the fridge to gain access to a hidden socket right up the corner (small kitchen).  Then the firkin fridge had to be pushed back before finally pulling the tumble dryer out for testing.

Then after pulling out the tumble dryer and trying to retrieve the lead and plug top, it was snagged up as a piece of laminate flooring had been laid over the top of it FFS!

( I can hear you all in raptures of laughter :slap  but it wasnt too pleased at the time)

To top it off, went through earth bond test fine, IR fine but when I did leakage test the main rcd switch X(  tripped twice.

Turned the tumble dryer on for a couple of minutes then went through test sequence again and all was fine this time, probably I had give it bad vibes and it wanted to p me off some more before finally finishing.

I quote £3.66 per item  .never get any TBH  :C Based on each item taking 10 mins .

I do it at the printers but they are a long standing customer and I agreed to to it at the same cost as the outfit they were using as I'm more expensive.  I think its £650.00 IIRC  . Takes me 3 days TBH 

TBH

I quote £3.66 per item  .never get any TBH  :C Based on each item taking 10 mins .

I do it at the printers but they are a long standing customer and I agreed to to it at the same cost as the outfit they were using as I'm more expensive.  I think its £650.00 IIRC  . Takes me 3 days TBH 

TBH Deke, I only do PAT for a few existing customers or where I think it may generate extra business.  I do it cheaper than my normal rate as its a bit mundane, and all I need to take is my tester bag, a few hand tools, pen and sheets.  Therefore, there is no need to workout and purchase materials, do initial inspection of wiring etc..

Latest posts