Angle Drills

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Been looking at a makita 18v angle drill.

just wondered how many of you use these angle drills or drill angled holes in joists as normal drills dont fit between joists lol.

any feedback appreciated

cheers

Lidl was doing a nice little adaptor at £4.99 - rarely used - but when you need it it's invaluable (perhaps that's a bit OTT - it's well worth 4.99 though)!

When I needed one I bought one of these Clarke jobs from Machine Mart and it lives in the box with the Makita cordless. Amazing how often I use it tbh. As it's a smaller diameter than the cordless it's great for putting brackets in corners etc and keeping the screws straight. Only 10mm chuck though. Used to have a Hitachi 110V and that was only 10mm too IIRC.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/rad-1-right-angle-drill-attachment?da=1&TC=SRC-angle+drill+adapter

Keep meaning to get a bare 18V Makita one - dithered a while back when one of the sponsors had them and lost out!

I also have cut down some flat wood bits just short enough to go through a 2" joist, though you do lose the hex when you do that!

I have a Bosch drill (1050w I think ) with a atlas copco angle chuck (think that retails at £100) and use Bosch blue flat bits. Slowest it will go it rips through joists in seconds, usually fire the laser across the joists so its all dead straight. Is a seriously good set up I've lost count of the times plumbers have tried to buy it off me. 

We have an 18v Makita angle drill, and the big 240v Makita angle drill. The 18v only has single speed, so can't really be used with small augers. It is great with flat wood bits though. Does tend to eat batteries, but then again so do most Makita 18v drills. 

The 240v drill is fantastic, probably the best drill I have ever bought. Loads of power. Sends a 32mm auger through a joist easily. You can also swap the top round to vary the speed. We usually leave ours on the low speed as we only use it with augers to drill joists. Great bit of kit. 

Cheers

GS                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

anyone remember that stupid CopCo [i think] drill that split in the middle so you could get it between joists,

talk about poor quality.!  :shakehead

I think mine lasted less than 2weeks.!

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the cordless 18v ones not upto the job then steve for drilling rows of holes in joists then. Ive been recommended to get one by someone but not sure really.

I only have a 110 volt Makita one. I find with extension work and the timber they use a mains drill even struggles with this. If you have a brand new bit they start of OK but after a few holes the bits soon gets worn. With existing jobs where the timber is dry I generally can get away with a normal combi drill if they fit in between joists. Not sure what it is with the tanalised timber but it seems to blunt drills quickly or maybe its the budget drills I buy or even the timber is damp. I certainly would not drill a lot of holes with a battery drill mains every time.

Are the cordless 18v ones not upto the job then steve for drilling rows of holes in joists then. Ive been recommended to get one by someone but not sure really.
We used it for drilling 20mm holes in trunking which was 200mm from wall on a conduit job.

Not sure it would be fast enough with a flat bit on wood, auger bit maybe.

Latest posts