Fire clip installation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armeg UK

Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi TEF,
Any of you lovely lot heavily involved with Fire Clip installation?
Specifically ones that require a 6mm hole?
If so, I'd be extremely grateful for some help.
We have a prototype drill bit that we're just trying to gain some feedback on. If you'd be interested in a little trial, DM me and I can give you some more info.
Much appreciated, as always, and keep your eyes peeled for a Christmas competition coming very soon.

Phil.

By fire clips, do you mean the metal fold-in ones that go in PVC trunking? or thinkgs like the linian clips for round cable? or.....
As the prototypes are only 6mm at the minute, anything that requires a short 6mm hole in masonry.

At that diameter it will probably be more likely to be the Linian type clips as the metal fold-in strap type ones require a direct masonry screw like a DeWalt Wall Dog. These type of screws are usually installed using a 4mm pilot hole (Incidentally, we have noticed our sales of 4mm masonry bits have increased something like ten-fold since the reg change regarding fire clips).

The whole project is just spit-balling basically and nothing may come of it. If however, there is some mileage we can tinker with range, diameters, lengths etc. We can do this easily being the only masonry bit manufacturer still surviving in the UK today.

Thanks for your interest Barx :) (y)

As the prototypes are only 6mm at the minute, anything that requires a short 6mm hole in masonry.

At that diameter it will probably be more likely to be the Linian type clips as the metal fold-in strap type ones require a direct masonry screw like a DeWalt Wall Dog. These type of screws are usually installed using a 4mm pilot hole (Incidentally, we have noticed our sales of 4mm masonry bits have increased something like ten-fold since the reg change regarding fire clips).

The whole project is just spit-balling basically and nothing may come of it. If however, there is some mileage we can tinker with range, diameters, lengths etc. We can do this easily being the only masonry bit manufacturer still surviving in the UK today.

Thanks for your interest Barx :) (y)
I struggled obtaining 4mm bits a few years ago......SDS even more so, issue was the SDS action bent the drill

I struggled obtaining 4mm bits a few years ago......SDS even more so, issue was the SDS action bent the drill
Yeah, the cheaper end ones can do that unfortunately. Heavy duty masonry and excessive pressure can also be factors.
160mm long ones are the commonest size but do allow a little 'flex'. We do a 110mm version that is a little more rigid.

Right, I'm off to do the Elex show at Sandown Park so won't be able to sort out any more samples until next week if anyone else is interested. I also only have a limited number left ;)

Phil

Latest posts