Another "do I Really Want To Do This" Job

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I helped my plumber mate out today connecting a new oil burner he was fitting as an exchange unit in an old boiler.

When we fired it up, we found:

HW channel of programmer seems to bring the boiler on (but not the pump)

CH channel of the programmer seems to bring the pump on but not the boiler (fully pumped)

So now way to run HW or CH on their own.

HW cylinder stat opens and closes 2 port valve for tank, but nothing else (does not call for heat from boiler) i.e tank reaches temperature, valve closes, boiler carries on pumping into a dead circuit)

Front casing of programmer is broken and missing exposing live parts.

I'm going back next week to fit a new programmer and rewire the whole heating controls.

Owner (who's about 101 and not really "with it") says he wired it all himself and just didn't understand when I tried to explain what's wrong with it.

And as I was talking to him, I looked up.  Hanging from his kitchen ceiling are two "pendant" lights. which are literally bits of t&e hanging through a hole in the ceiling with a bayonet lamp holder attached.

House from hell me thinks, and like a stupid idiot, I'm now comitted to going back to sort out the heating.  I'll take some pendant sets as well I think

I had a similar elderly gent, ex army engineeer asked me to wire up his ch programmer (as he now has macular degeneration) and then look at replacing a light for him.  This was done in car type wiring... at least you had twin and earth.

Latest posts