Another Swa Question Lol

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayemaker

Reaction score
ok guys i called an electrician to come install me some supply from my consumer unit to my newly built shed. he was unable to attend to discuss face to face so told on the phone what to and what to buy before he came to terminate and test and sign off  ...  this is what he told me to get.

6 way consumer unit (which came with a 100A Rcd)  (even tho i thought i should be getting an Rcbo wich has the test button on)
32A mcb  =  sockets
16A mcb = ???

6A mcb  =  Lighting
6A mcb = ???? 

indoor cable gland pack

I allready had 40 metres of 10mm swa which is what i am using to run power to shed which will Be run above ceiling plasterboard out the back wall along the top of my fence clipped direct and  into the shed ( a 36 metre straight run with no bends other then to go from and into the Consumer units)  
This will only power a freezer, 2 or 3 x 2gang sockets and 2x lamps (debating on led batten instead)
 i intend on using some tools like a table saw, router table, 240v tools (drills,saws etc) 

my previous sparky kindly left me a 40A mcb in my C/U for the time i got round to powering my shed.

My query is .. if there is a 40A Mcb in my C/U  but a 100A RCD  in the New C/U thats going in the shed  will that be ok .... i dont know much(if anything) about cable current capacitys etc .. but i dont want to go and install it all ready for sparky to say nope gotta get rid of this that and replace with this n that  etc

if it is 40A indoors i wont ever be drawing that much power so is the 100A RCD just a massive overcurrent device or should i downgrade to say a 63A RCD. either will cope with ammount of current i'll draw.

Forgive me if i sound like a plonker but id rather ask the experts than my sparky as his mother was taken very ill and i dont want to bother him at this sad time.

It sounds to me that you are doing all of the work and some 7 day wonder is going to sign it off for you.

Get more quotes from local electricians, preferably one who will take the time to come to you and do some initial testing, and investigations.

Earthing arrangements are a vital factor, and should never be guessed.

I would say that a 63amp RCD would be more suitable than a 100amp.

Shop around and get an electrician who will spend time with you and work out a solution.

About the one thing you have got right is a good size cable.

So do the donkey work and pull the cable through from the house to the shed.

Then get an electrician to come and give you a price for connecting it all.

You really only need a 2 way mini CU in the shed.

ok guys i called an electrician to come install me some supply from my consumer unit to my newly built shed. he was unable to attend to discuss face to face so told on the phone what to and what to buy before he came to terminate and test and sign off  ...  this is what he told me to get.

6 way consumer unit (which came with a 100A Rcd)  (even tho i thought i should be getting an Rcbo wich has the test button on)

32A mcb  =  sockets

16A mcb = ???

6A mcb  =  Lighting

6A mcb = ???? 

indoor cable gland pack

I allready had 40 metres of 10mm swa which is what i am using to run power to shed which will Be run above ceiling plasterboard out the back wall along the top of my fence clipped direct and  into the shed ( a 36 metre straight run with no bends other then to go from and into the Consumer units)  

This will only power a freezer, 2 or 3 x 2gang sockets and 2x lamps (debating on led batten instead)

i intend on using some tools like a table saw, router table, 240v tools (drills,saws etc) 

my previous sparky kindly left me a 40A mcb in my C/U for the time i got round to powering my shed.

My query is .. if there is a 40A Mcb in my C/U  but a 100A RCD  in the New C/U thats going in the shed  will that be ok .... i dont know much(if anything) about cable current capacitys etc .. but i dont want to go and install it all ready for sparky to say nope gotta get rid of this that and replace with this n that  etc

if it is 40A indoors i wont ever be drawing that much power so is the 100A RCD just a massive overcurrent device or should i downgrade to say a 63A RCD. either will cope with ammount of current i'll draw.

Forgive me if i sound like a plonker but id rather ask the experts than my sparky as his mother was taken very ill and i dont want to bother him at this sad time.

6way consumer unit for a shed???

How big is this shed... Sounds like one big overkill to me?

A 100A RCD or a 63A RCD is not an overcurrent device...

An RCD is an earth leakage residual current detection device..

Yon need to look at the tripping current e.g. 100ma or 30ma and if it is time delayed or not..

The large 100A / 63A part of the specification is how much load the device can disconnect / reconnect without the switch contact arcing, sparking or welding together! 

As Manator says..

You really need to get two other electricians to come and see the job and give you a price.. 

at the moment TBH it sounds as though two people are designing something in a very haphazard manner.  e.g  " clipping SWA along the top of fence" ??

Why not ring the previous sparky who left the 40A mcb in the house CU...

(unless of course they are the "invisible" electricians who so often appear on internet forums)

Or is this all just a DIY project?

:popcorn

cables being clipped as we cannot get the decking up or take it any other route.

this is just what the electrician told me to go buy from a well known electrical suppliers..  and 6 way yes i thought it was overkill also  but in time i,m having a greenhouse and maybe a smaller shed and a couple of outdoor lights which will all run from this C/U also.

i now understand about the 100A/63A thing. 

also the swa will effectively become the earth and no need for an earth rod ??

and as for doing most of the work (apart from termination + testing) it will save money which on a tight budget i need to save money.

It Should all work shold'nt it.   its not just some diy job it was going to be done professionally but my sparky mate said he'd do it for a lot less than a normal quote as he'd do it at the weekend (today) but things change and his mother is ill so thought aswell as saving money by running  the cabling myself that i would seek advice from here.

Could someone tell me what they would do or buy differently from what i plan on doing.  i want it done the right way not the way that could cause any hazards or problems.

You may, or may not require an earth rod,

What type of earth do you have in your house?

Clipping along top of the fence is a very bodged method of doing it

its a TN-C-S  supply

and i have no other way of running the swa other than the top (or near the top).   am thinking of putting it on ground level but inside of the thick blue water pipe.

i cant get it under the decking and i,m not in a position to dig 500/600mm deep trench 35 meters long.  so clipped to the fence is my only viable option

its a TN-C-S  supply

and i have no other way of running the swa other than the top (or near the top).   am thinking of putting it on ground level but inside of the thick blue water pipe.

i cant get it under the decking and i,m not in a position to dig 500/600mm deep trench 35 meters long.  so clipped to the fence is my only viable option
NO NO NO NO NO

Do I make that clear. never EVER put an electric cable inside BLUE water pipe.

SWA cable can be buried in the ground so needs no further protection, but if you feel you must encase it in something, then for gods sake buy some BLACK electrical ducting to put it in.

ookk ook ok ok ok i get it NOOO blue water pipe lol ..    and as for fence blowing down i do realise that but what other option is there ?

i cant dig a trench as i have pulmonary hypertension so digging is a no no 

and Murdoch its for myself .. 

Latest posts