Another Swa Question Lol

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hayemaker clipping the cable will be fine these lot on here seem to make electrical work a black art or something .

depending on condition of fence & various other factors, it may be acceptable to fix it to the fence, but buried in the ground (either SWA direct or in blakc duct, not blue water pipe) is much better

Thanks for all the information help and criticism  

The Fence is a new fence only 7 weeks old

The route i'm going to take is from C/U in the house along bottom of the kitchen wall in trunking out the back wall UNDER the decking as i'm prepared to rip it up so it can be buried and made more safer get someone to dig a 600mm trench 34 meters  spread shingle in the trench lay the cable and put electricians warning tape over it .. back fill the trench and go  through the concrete block shed wall and be terminated that way.  (Cheaper to replace some deck boards than potentially someones life if anything were to happen with the cable being clipped direct to top of the fence.. i have a young 3yr old daughter, 10yr old daughter and a teenage son who are always out in the garden.

YES the 6 way C/U Is overkill But things can be added to it in the future (may need to upgrade swa to 16mm depending on what the load will be and various other factors).

I AM a level 3 electrical student and i know the proper ways to do it (although not deemed competent as dont have the paper to prove it YET)..  all what has been said before is on the instructions i was given by the sparky that was supposed to be doing the work..  although a good friend his methods are strange but hey that's his proplem and i deffinately won't be using his methods or services.  I was posting stuff to try and get an idea of how competent or knowledgable electricians actually are and i'm very pleased to say 97% of the replies i've had on here would fill me with confidence that you are great sparkys.

Thanks for all the help feedback   /   sorry for making myself sound like a complete ass but i deliberately made myself sound like i did not know my bum from my elbow lol

plus it gave you guys something to laugh about on a boring sunday lol

its gonna run behind a cooker and there is already trunking there so just easier to put it in with that. just another bit of overprotection lol

Why bed the SWA on shingle?

I would have thought soft sand was more appropriate

And dont put the warning tape directly on top of the cable, as by the time you have hit the tape you will have probably hit the cable as well.

Had an Architect once who insisted the cable was wrapped with the tape. Mind you, it made it easier to see a week later on the JCBs back Actor

was debating on earth rod but the swa will be the earth... as someone on here messaged me and advised against the earth rod as apparently if anything happens to the earth rod connection then it will make other stuff live in a case of an fault (his words NOT mine)

and shingle is what i have to hand from doing my driveway, and no NOT directly on top or around the swa .. backfill a bit first then lay it 

Also the C/U in the shed is not metal  its hard plastic so will earth to the earth bar also.

Last edited by a moderator:
You NEED to get a spark that understands earthing tbh,

Exporting TNCS can be LETHAL if not done correctly, and no one NOT on site taking proper measurements can prove otherwise 

yes i'm in college tommorow i will ask him for advice on earthing.

Thanks guys ... you can all stop laughing at me now lol   ... peace out