Any idea what this is, growing in an electrical enclosure?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schaffs997

Reaction score
Non-electrician here. I'm looking to pick the hive brain and wonder if any of you have come across anything similar to the growth in these pictures - this was found within a sealed electrical panel located within a manufacturing environment. Any ideas what it could be?
Thanks in advance. 20221103_102754.jpg20221103_102750.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When you say "sealed electrical panel" how sealed is it
What type of plant is this panel on looks like it could be dust / particle ingress from a manufacturing process

Cheers for the replies so far - its an aircraft manufacturing plant - pretty clean environment with no airborne dusts etc. The cabinet is sealed as in ATEX rated - though not sure of the spec.....its deffo a weird one

From the even distribution on varying surfaces and materials it looks to me to have been sprayed with a fluid which has subsequently supported some sort of fungal growth. You need a chemist. I would treat it with respect, whilst unknown, as some fungus spores are harmful.

Thanks Geoff - that's the thinking- and next port of call. I've spoken to a few people and no-one seen anything like before.

From the even distribution on varying surfaces and materials it looks to me to have been sprayed with a fluid which has subsequently supported some sort of fungal growth. You need a chemist. I would treat it with respect, whilst unknown, as some fungus spores are harmful.
Can't help thinking whoever installed the board had very sweaty hands. I have seen something like this in a solar inverter with a slight leak. Damp and heat had cuased fungal growth inside the inverter and a lot of corrosion.

Would definetly get it analysed though, you can get some pretty poisonous compounds under such circumstances.

I'm also non-electrician! The only thing I've ever seen that looks like this is a hoar frost which I once saw formed on the inner roof of a tent, would seem extremely unlikely to me though given electrics usually generate some heat and also you don't mention any refrigeration. best of luck solving it...

Non-electrician here. I'm looking to pick the hive brain and wonder if any of you have come across anything similar to the growth in these pictures - this was found within a sealed electrical panel located within a manufacturing environment. Any ideas what it could be?
Thanks in advance. View attachment 16155View attachment 16154
This factory; Is it smelly in there?? Are there large temperature changes or is it humid in there??

john..

WARNING.. I downloaded one of the photos this morning and when i went to open it the program said that it could not as the file was too big..

An hour later i did a virus scan which detected a zip file containing my first ever virus..

Coincidence????

john..

It looks like a white mould/fungus. If by chance moisture got in before the panel was sealed. If the panel get warm while in operation and cools when off, this will create the right environment over time .