Advice please re electric combi boiler

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbateman1066

Reaction score
Hi, my wife and I have decided to bite the bullet re the costs of an electric combi boiler in an off-gas grid one bedroom flat where space is so tight we need to get the old LPG boiler out of the kitchen and have an electric combi in an internal cupboard.

Questions: we are looking to get an Elnur Mattira 14kW combi (heat output for the "rain style" shower (no bath) is driving the capacity, rather than the room heating needs). Does anyone have anything to report on this make/model of combi boiler, including anything not good about it? (Apart from being unable to find any user reports on this make, an advantage along with the claimed hot water flow rate is the size for getting in the cupboard.)

To add one further point: the property is not well insulated (concrete floor, old non-cavity stone walls) so any form of heat pump would seem to be out of the question.

Second, the combi would be mounted on the wall above a washing machine in the same cupboard: any problems envisaged/experienced?

To allay the fears of the professionals, I should add that I checked the incoming single phase supply: what was at one time called the 'company fuse' is marked as 100A, and on my side of the meter the isolating switch/fuse has an 80A cartridge fuse in it, so that would appear OK for the expected loads. Having decided what combi we want and its location we shall pass the work to a qualified electrician to get it done right and signed off properly!

My only comment is an electric combi WILL cors at least 3 times as much to run as a gas combi, so WHY would you want to do that?

The only sensible form of electric heating is an air source heat pump. A monoblock heat pump goes outside, but you will need an unvented hot water tank somewhere. An unvented hot water tank will supply your showers far better than any combi boiler would.
(Above is Pro Dave's reply. I tried moving it, but as ProDave posted first, his reply showed before the question)

Looked into electric heating nearly 40 years ago specifically economy 7 with storage heaters and a large hot water tank and couldn't get the figures to stack up against mains gas, move on to about 15 years ago and a customer who was doing some flat conversions mentioned he was considering using electric panel heaters or an electric boiler in each flat and the figures still didn't stack up, given the recent price hike in electricity I don't see electric heating is viable with the high costs that will be incured using it

I would have thought a heat pump.
"The property is not well insulated .......... so any form of heat pump would seem to be out of the question."
Poor insulation will impact any form of heating. I don't know if ASHP's are any different ?
I understand that the circulating water in a heat pump system is cooler than a gas boiler provides, so bigger radiators are required.
There's this "report" to look at:
https://householdquotes.co.uk/electric-combi-boilers/

Heat pump would be best. But there are some middle grounds. Check out Tepeo and the other heat storage boiler brands. They can heat up at night in the off peak period, and release the heat in the day. It can offset the additional cost of electric vs gas. Infact. If you can buy your off peak electric below 10ppkwh you will be cheeper than gas. And cleaner.