Anyone recognise this PLC / controller?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Context. This is the heating system at our village hall, an industrial sized Dimplex Ground Source Heat Pump operating from a borehole.

We have the instruction manual for the heat pump, that is a basic unit and only details what is inside it, compressors and valves etc.

The HP is controlled by two boxes that were supplied and fitted by a company who now no longer exist, so they can't help us. One box contains a PLC like programmer and the other box connected to that contains various relays and contactors.

The nub of the problem is the controller has stopped working, it is dead, no display. Its internal fuse was blown, fitting a new fuse resulted in smoke.

Here is the controller.
hall PLC_front.jpg

There is a label on the back, I don't recognise the manufacturer

hall PLC_bottom label.jpg

And another label on the end which might be the software version loaded?

hall PLC_label.jpg

We have the manual for the control box, but neither the manual not the control box itself states who made it. It might be Dimplex it might not. Someone else is trying to find out.

This controller is fed by 24V ac straight from a small transformer, so clearly it has a power supply inside. I thought I would take a look.

This is the PCB inside

hall PLC_board.jpg

The internal PSU is this bit.

hall plc_blown PSU.jpg

One of the blue electrolytics has the classic domed top of a failed capacitor. Some of the surface mount components partly hidden by the heatsink are where the smoke came from.

I am minded to try and fix it, or at least determine where the output of the PSU is and try converting it for an external DC power supply. But the hall management committee have told me not to do that while they try and find a replacement.

Thoughts please, has anyone seen anything similar?

Thanks. that's a start, in the UK at least. My googling had only found German sites. The exact part number is not there, but I will be phoning them.

@ProDave just remember if you get a new controller you will have to create a programme for it, I'm not sure if the Carel programming software is easily available.
Radwell might offer a repair of your unit and, it even might keep the programme intact.
I doubt they would guarantee this though.
Personally I would go to:
https://kontroltek.biz/They may be able to repair the unit with the programme intact, or source a replacement for you.
Privately owned rather than a global like Radwell.
(I know directors & employees at both companies.)

@ProDave just remember if you get a new controller you will have to create a programme for it, I'm not sure if the Carel programming software is easily available.
Radwell might offer a repair of your unit and, it even might keep the programme intact.
I doubt they would guarantee this though.
Personally I would go to:
https://kontroltek.biz/They may be able to repair the unit with the programme intact, or source a replacement for you.
Privately owned rather than a global like Radwell.
(I know directors & employees at both companies.)
Thanks, a very helpful reply. Will certainly add Kontrollertek to the list of people to contact.

I got the impression from the Radwell site that a replacement would be programmed, but no doubt there would be some parameters to set up specific to this particular heat pump.

The decision what to do is out of my hands, it is up to the hall management committee, I have given them all the leads mentioned on this thread. They have to decide whether to try a repair or a replacement and how much ££ they are willing to spend vs risk. I have offered to have a go at a repair, which is of course hampered by no circuit diagram or other service info, and some of the components that have gone up in smoke have no readable identification on them so not so simple. But I would like to try and work out what output the on board PSU provides and look to converting it for an external DC power supply and abandon the on board burnt out PSU.

Whatever happens I will be fitting the replacement and if replacement is what they choose i would still like to try a repair so they have a spare.