Domestic Sprinkler system

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

empress

Reaction score
Anyone got experience of supply/ protective device regs for  domestic sprinkler in Wales/England

company who supplied and are commissing are useless.

Bs 9251 ref is quoting a bs88 type fuse seperate supply before main consumer unit which is not  prob but no RCD protection?

control box for fire pump label states no fused spurs or mcbs.

Anyone like give it a sab as its looking like i need an isolator which will take a small bs88 motor rated fuse,but will need a 100amp isolator for split supply tails 25mm.

motor is max 22Amp on start up label states 10-16amp max protective device.

this system has a 2000litre tank outside which also houses controls and pump.

flow switch on sprinkler pipe in the property has had connected to activate all smoke /heat CO alarms on activation.

I only did one sprinkler system , at a local factory that makes that well known ,brown insulating board  .  

You just reminded of it with this sentence .

Bs 9251 ref is quoting a bs88 type fuse seperate supply before main consumer unit which is not  prob but no RCD protection?
To follow manufacturer's instructions  we were required to  install a 60A  x TPN  connected without any fusing to the live side of the mains  .      We were coming from a  nearby sub station distribution panel .

I asked the pump company to confirm in writing that the  25mm   SWA  x  40 m  would not have a fused supply in keeping with BS 7671 and would be connected directly to a 500A supply    .  They didn't want to  do that  ...I insisted that we HAVE to work to BS 7671  and would be connecting to a 60A  x TP   switch fuse in the sub and if they were not happy they could alter it as they wished.

They did not reply .  

Your job is domestic .   Just fit some Henley blocks to the meter tails  ,  feed a switch fuse  with your BS 88  fuse in it .   You may want to fit a 100A main  switch  , up to you .  

The last thing you want on a sprinkler  is an RCD  in my humble opinion  .  Just do surface wiring to avoid the  dreaded "buried cable"  Reg. 

You'll have to look into the types of detectors for suitability of being triggered by the sprinkler  .  Their panel will probably have a set of volt free terminals which can trigger your devices .     Is the sprinkler activated by the blow off things on the pipework?        

Last edited by a moderator:
I only did one sprinkler system , at a local factory that makes that well known ,brown insulating board  .  

You just reminded of it with this sentence .

To follow manufacturer's instructions  we were required to  install a 60A  x TPN  connected without any fusing to the live side of the mains  .      We were coming from a  nearby sub station distribution panel .

I asked the pump company to confirm in writing that the  25mm   SWA  x  40 m  would not have a fused supply in keeping with BS 7671 and would be connected directly to a 500A supply    .  They didn't want to  do that  ...I insisted that we HAVE to work to BS 7671  and would be connecting to a 60A  x TP   switch fuse in the sub and if they were not happy they could alter it as they wished.

They did not reply .  

Your job is domestic .   Just fit some Henley blocks to the meter tails  ,  feed a switch fuse  with your BS 88  fuse in it .   You may want to fit a 100A main  switch  , up to you .  

The last thing you want on a sprinkler  is an RCD  in my humble opinion  .  Just do surface wiring to avoid the  dreaded "buried cable"  Reg. 

You'll have to look into the types of detectors for suitability of being triggered by the sprinkler  .  Their panel will probably have a set of volt free terminals which can trigger your devices .     Is the sprinkler activated by the blow off things on the pipework?        
yep thats how i sort of read it ,as for devices i had to enclose a 9v dc  power supply which works thru their flow paddle switch which is in the property to activate all the sounders thru the link connection, that side is done.

will have to dig for a din mounted bs88 fuse carrier as allready have a small 3 way metal consumer unit with 100a isolator on site.

Last edited by a moderator:
yep just had a look plenty of choice will get one on order to get this boxed off.

thanks for your input.

Latest posts