Are Cheap Android Phones Worth It?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was considering this cheapo Android phone. The wife wants a cheap smart phone, pay as you go and something better than the rubbish Orange Lisbon she has.

Are these cheap phones well made or do they last 5 minutes? Or is it that in a lot of cases you're paying a premium for a name? The Goophone iPhone copies running Android are about £99. But this looks good for £60:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121219047364

If I go for a name then I thought the Motorola Moto G but thats like £120

http://www.phones4u.co.uk/motorola/moto-g/

Last edited by a moderator:
My Mrs has a PAYG huawei ascend y300,,, its a great little phone,, cost <£60 from CPW -- replacing a bust one on contract

If anything happened to my S3 I'd have one without a problem... I recon its better and much more value for money than my daughters iPhone 5

I decided to hang on to my S2 after the contract ran out. Decided to go for a Tesco SIM only deal for £10/m spoke to O2 about it and they offered me a similar deal on a 24m contract for £11/m BUT applied £150 cash back which means no phone bill for 13M then £11/m til the 2 years is up. Not bad eh?

I decided to hang on to my S2 after the contract ran out. Decided to go for a Tesco SIM only deal for £10/m spoke to O2 about it and they offered me a similar deal on a 24m contract for £11/m BUT applied £150 cash back which means no phone bill for 13M then £11/m til the 2 years is up. Not bad eh?
they still have you for another 24m though.

My Mrs has a PAYG huawei ascend y300,,, its a great little phone,, cost <£60 from CPW -- replacing a bust one on contract

If anything happened to my S3 I'd have one without a problem... I recon its better and much more value for money than my daughters iPhone 5
I quite like that for features etc. I'll see what she says? No doubt the colour will be wrong!

iphone is best of course

but

The amount you spend on the phone should be relevant to how you value the misses.

Mine has a tin can and a piece of string ............... she might get the other tin can for christmas

Now then, just checked the link this morning and with 90 sold, that listing has ended due to an error.

BUT.................same seller & price is now £139.99.............Seems seller got it wrong and put them up with £100 off by error? If so there's 90 people got a steal I reckon!

Would they have to honour it if you bought at £39.99?

I doubt they will receive them to be honest, so easy to get out of and Ebay will do nothing.

You only get what you pay for as always, and if it looks to good to be true it will be, as you get older you realise that.

I was a big fan of pirate software and always looked for all the latest cracked software, not any more it's just not worth the hassle.

Now I believe if you need the software pay for it and get the support, no virus issues, malware etc 

Having probs with my samsung galaxy s2 now. Its over 3 years old. Has trouble connecting to GPS, and sometimes decides not to take calls even when I'm in range. It has to be switched off and on to make it work. I'm not on a contract so won't be looking for expensive upgrades. I simply want a phone that has good reception, good camera, long battery life, android latest operating system (for running apps Strava etc)

Don't like apple stuff. was thinking of Moto G. Anyone had one?

I hear the G is a good phone! I have the nexus 5 which is excellent and is basicly the same thing. I find the "Google" version of android OS is better than the "Samsung" version of Android.

My boss got a load of S2's cheap off eBay a year ago and none remain in service.

There wasn't last year when I bought the wifes, there was 2 memory sizes tho, hers is only the small one, £100 from asda, <£2 for an unlock code from fleabay :)  

There's a new Moto G with expandable memory for I think about £130 supposed to be really good value. Also the Moto E is worth a look, about £80.

Latest posts