Are Cheap Android Phones Worth It?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah if your going cheap I would probably go Moto G but you cannot go out and buy a cheap model and then complain that it is not up to scratch with the flagship models.

Just clearing things up...

Although... I bought the Mrs a samsung s3 mini from argos for £99 it seems the same as the s4 with a smaller screen and rounder edges. I doubt it has the processing speed or the ram but then who cares, she can get faceache and the daily fail on it so she's happy.

:)

S3 mini is okay for a basic smartphone.

Wife has one and it locks up from time to time. But can't complain for the price.

A decent'ish spec 4.7" phone for sub £50 or am I missing something:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3G-Quad-Core-MIUI-V5-Smart-Phone-8-0MP-Dual-SIM-4-7-IPS-Unlocked-Xiaomi-Redmi-/201069318762?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item2ed0aa526a

A report on the company that makes it:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/hongmi-the-chinese-smartphone-that-sold-100000-units-in-90-seconds-8771297.html

Can't see they would be any worse than say the ZTE made ones that Virgin & Orange I think sell badged as theirs. And seemingly has UK compatible WCDMA on the 3G rather than the TD-SCDMA 3G Chinese standard. Again,  900/2100MHz rather than the oft seen 850/2100MHz on these cheapo phones. Guessing the 8MP camera might be interpolated. 

CAN YOU GO WRONG FOR SUB 50£  :C
Price gone up to £99 this morning..........seems they sold 8 and accepted selling them at £49.99 and have then retracted any buys thereafter due to "entered wrong amount" . He who hesitates etc..........(that's me btw).  :lol:

Why would any of the networks give you a phone on coontract that will accept a competitors SIM card,,,, it's just not going to happen

Why would any of the networks give you a phone on coontract that will accept a competitors SIM card,,,, it's just not going to happen

they dont,

you just buy it off them on HP.  :|

thats why I buy my phones outright, works out a massive amount cheaper over the 2years or whatever your contract is.

my phone cost 200£ with the same phone and less minutes and data on a contract the phone worked out at nearly 450£ over 2 years, ie, I worked out my sim cost over 24months, deducted the 200£ over a phone contract and had 250£ difference

Last edited by a moderator:
I think with a lot of the dual SIM ones it's one 3G and one 2G SIM in them. The Prestigio phones from Maplin & Tesco do have this facility I believe.........

I'm happy with a phone on HP over 2 years if it means I get it replaced next day no questions if it goes wrong/gets broken/lost/stolen etc. as my mobile "is" the company phone number.

Which it does on the contract I have.

Latest posts