Are we undervalued ........

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 Yes there are jobs being advertised for pathetic rates but if you don’t like them move on. If no one took jobs at these poor rates then that would drive the rates up across the board. 
 I thnk these jobs are filled by the 5ww brigade, they do have a bit of paper saying they are qualified after all   :^O

No large construction jobs at the moment to soak up all the labour.

Tottenham is finished ( kinda )...

HS2 is on hold...

No real investment in th UK due to brexit related uncertainty, read: politicians are useless tw@'s.

People like myself are taking Shiite wages because the bills don't stop when the work does, so I must carry on regardless.  

As for 5ww's.... I've seen a few and they don't last long, then there was a guy who bought a gold card off eBay who didn't understand numbers! :slap

Branch managers are jumping from company to company around here!

FFS CEF have started ringing me to see if there is anything they can help me with!     Not spent with them for over 5 years!

same with another local independent ...fell out with them 4/5 years ago....owner is a total bell end, spends most of his time posting pics of his new Audi or Motorbike. They now have a new manager who contacted me by e mail today, previously manager of a local independent who I spend almost all my money with. 

Branch managers are jumping from company to company around here!

FFS CEF have started ringing me to see if there is anything they can help me with!     Not spent with them for over 5 years!

same with another local independent ...fell out with them 4/5 years ago....owner is a total bell end, spends most of his time posting pics of his new Audi or Motorbike. They now have a new manager who contacted me by e mail today, previously manager of a local independent who I spend almost all my money with. 

CEF can help by sodding off and taking their trash catalogue with them

I forecast a recession  as "Brexit"  & "Boris "  loom nearer .  

Titter ye not  , I was right about the multi national  companies  leaving the sinking ship .....it has started ...their only interest is the Euro market  .

They can build anything , anywhere these days with computer design  ,  modern robotic assembly  & cheap labour . 

Although it appears that  Jaguar / Land Rover are staying  .....for now . 

Last edited by a moderator:
There will always be those that see a glass half empty at the first sign of change and will run, and equally there will be those that see a glass half full who see a greater opportunity and will stay. Personally I say if you run then makes sure it’s for good and don’t come back when we’ve moved forward. If you can’t stick with me in times of turbulence then you’re really not here for me in the first place. 

Most of this country is supported by the likes of you and me, the small to medium business, we’ve all said how over the years we’ve seen a demise in big industry and companies, but we’ve still managed to survive, we’re still recognised on the world stage or is that all down to the fact that we’re part of Europe? Is that why so many foreigners decided to come to Britain instead of going to European continent countries? Yes it’s true that France and Germany have many immigrants but why is this- is it because they are part of Europe or is it because they are seen as the better opportunity countries of Europe? 

what Always amazes me is that time after time we see fear and scaremongering being spread by the glass half empty brigade and suddenly we are all expected to stand behind them and align our thoughts with theirs, You only have to look back over the recent years, the financial crash, people said we’d suffer for years, have we suffered or did we just change and adapt to new circumstances, then we heard is Trump gets in as president the world will end up at War, really i’d say that those before him started more wars than he has. It’s a pity that we don’t focus on the glass half full brigade and embrace their positivity, we’d probably be in a much better place altogether. Instead of focusing on what may happen from a negative stand point let’s try and do it from a positive stand point we might just surprise ourselves. Could you imagine how much worse we’d have been if previous generations went into war saying we’re gonna lose this war, we’re all going to die, they’d of had no fight in them what so ever, no they went with a belief, they went in with a fight, yes many lost their lives but the fighting spirit continued within the rest and eventually we won. 

I forecast a recession  as "Brexit"  & "Boris "  loom nearer .  

The question is; Is the "official definition" of a "Recession" correct? in my opinion, a recession ought to be when it is difficult for any person looking for a reasonable paid job, (not shelf stacking/call centre/zero hours/part time-low paid jobs),  to be able to find one. We have not been in a period of decent employment opportunities for a very long time. There was an  era when if you didn't like the way your employer treated you, you could jack it in and within a short time (days or weeks) you could have sorted yourself a new job. So employers did value their workers and look after their good staff with reasonable pay and/or perks, because they didn't want them walking away. That era has been long gone irrespective of Brexit or no-Brexit. 

Doc H

I thnk these jobs are filled by the 5ww brigade, they do have a bit of paper saying they are qualified after all   :^O
But that’s where it has all gone wrong imo. Why does the government or whoever it is that regulates the requirements for electrical works let this bs even exist?

the government listens to big business who have the money to lobby them. Big business in turn don't want to pay proper money for proper trained staff, it's bad for their shareholders apparently - who says we live in a true democaracy when money still buys influence over government strategy. 

So employers did value their workers and look after their good staff with reasonable pay and/or perks, because they didn't want them walking away. That era has been long gone irrespective of Brexit or no-Brexit. 
Thats very true  Doc .

Although I heard today ,from a customer whose brother had a small business, engineering .    He'd said he felt responsible  not only to his employees but their families too and it was a great responsibility .   

There will always be those that see a glass half empty at the first sign of change and will run, and equally there will be those that see a glass half full who see a greater opportunity and will stay. Personally I say if you run then makes sure it’s for good and don’t come back when we’ve moved forward. If you can’t stick with me in times of turbulence then you’re really not here for me in the first place. 

Most of this country is supported by the likes of you and me, the small to medium business, we’ve all said how over the years we’ve seen a demise in big industry and companies, but we’ve still managed to survive, we’re still recognised on the world stage or is that all down to the fact that we’re part of Europe? Is that why so many foreigners decided to come to Britain instead of going to European continent countries? Yes it’s true that France and Germany have many immigrants but why is this- is it because they are part of Europe or is it because they are seen as the better opportunity countries of Europe? 

what Always amazes me is that time after time we see fear and scaremongering being spread by the glass half empty brigade and suddenly we are all expected to stand behind them and align our thoughts with theirs, You only have to look back over the recent years, the financial crash, people said we’d suffer for years, have we suffered or did we just change and adapt to new circumstances, then we heard is Trump gets in as president the world will end up at War, really i’d say that those before him started more wars than he has. It’s a pity that we don’t focus on the glass half full brigade and embrace their positivity, we’d probably be in a much better place altogether. Instead of focusing on what may happen from a negative stand point let’s try and do it from a positive stand point we might just surprise ourselves. Could you imagine how much worse we’d have been if previous generations went into war saying we’re gonna lose this war, we’re all going to die, they’d of had no fight in them what so ever, no they went with a belief, they went in with a fight, yes many lost their lives but the fighting spirit continued within the rest and eventually we won. 
 No deal means we are positively courgetteed  :^O .

A lot of our influence comes from being part o the EU - it's why the **** moved factories here. Now I'm not saying we can't cope without the EU, but, big business couldn't give a **** about the UK, they want access to the worlds biggest, richest free trading area, ie the EU. You will get no lotalty from them.  Reality is business is, and will move out of the UK to be replaced by firk knows what. The wealthy will be OK as per normal, but mass job losses for ordinary people is very much on the cards - just ask the CBI. And then we will spend years negotiating a deal to access the EU again! So whilst I'm still in favour of leaving, it has to be with a deal.

NB, most immigrants stay in other EU countires, and Non EU immigartion is higher than EU immigration https://fullfact.org/immigration/eu-migration-and-uk/  https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Migration_and_migrant_population_statistics

the government listens to big business who have the money to lobby them. Big business in turn don't want to pay proper money for proper trained staff, it's bad for their shareholders apparently - who says we live in a true democaracy when money still buys influence over government strategy. 
We don't even bother hiring staff at general operator level anymore.

We just get agency workers in. They come in with a shyte attitude and they get treated like dogs. If they don't like it, they know where the gate is. Some walk, most get sacked after a while.

The rare time we find a diamond in the rough, a permanent job will appear on the wall for toolsetting or fabrication and they will be encouraged to apply for it. It's funny how the good guys always get the job.

They just happened to interview better. 😉

a common way of hiring these days, get an agency worker, see if they are any good without the hassle of interviewing or workers rights if they turn out to be muppets and need to be got rid of again. 

Latest posts