Are Electricians Undervalued?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,Yes, electricians are very under recognised as far as i am concerned, see, most people can wire up a circuit that works, but you try telling them that there is rather a lot more to it than that....

It is a similar situation with welding, a lot of people THINK they can weld. I have had people say to me "how slow are you?? My mate would weld that in a few seconds"

Their "mate" very well could, but then it would look like bird poo and you could pull it off with pliers!!

Plumbers make a mistake and the floor gets wet, you lot make a mistake and people potentially die.......

john....
does your mate know me? :|

I say this a lot,

I can put a shelf up or hang a door, Im NOT a Joiner,

I can plumb in a washing machine, or a new sink, Im not a plumber,

heck, I can even weld like bird poo, but Im still not a welder,

so why do people think that getting a light to work makes them a spark??????

RE: ProDave- Customer's comments above (sorry should have relplied with quotes)

Hi ProDave. Could it be because most of your customers are Scots?

Only joking. LOL.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 11:34 ---------- Previous post was made at 11:19 ----------

Electrics is only a matter of threading a few wires through and joining them together to make it work. Can't understand what all the training is for??

Maybe that's partly why I feel somewhat devalued. I've spent 30 years as an electrician, built up knowledge and learnt lots of skills, solved other peoples problems making things safe and compliant. But you're only as good as your next job, and nowdays that's normally got to be done cheaper and faster. And I've got to keep re-training to carry on doing the same job.

Where's my paint brush and white spirit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think one point that has been missed and will always effect the trade is that the customer cannot see the work,

does your mate know me? :| I say this a lot,

I can put a shelf up or hang a door, Im NOT a Joiner,

I can plumb in a washing machine, or a new sink, Im not a plumber,

heck, I can even weld like bird poo, but Im still not a welder,

so why do people think that getting a light to work makes them a spark??????
I can weld like bird poo too :)