Assesment At 1Pm

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just give them a list of what i have done, let them choose!

Last time.......,"oh this looks interesting, will we be able to get access"

Me....."of course, but it is about a 2 hour flight...Airport is an hour from here, it is a 2 hour drive when we get there, and you are only here until lunchtime!...i will have to phone ahead to see if they will,let you in....your call mateyboy"

We did not go

O heaven help me! are you all so obstinate that you cannot conduct a civilised conversation without being silly! ok, I do not make the rules, the IET do, don't argue with it just live with it! yes Kerching an RCD is encased in a plastic enclosure as is an MCB etc and indeed before you think about it, 'they are all made of plasic' please someone just answer the question!! why can not a consumer unit be made out of metal on a TT system??

O heaven help me! are you all so obstinate that you cannot conduct a civilised conversation without being silly! ok, I do not make the rules, the IET do, don't argue with it just live with it! yes Kerching an RCD is encased in a plastic enclosure as is an MCB etc and indeed before you think about it, 'they are all made of plasic' please someone just answer the question!! why can not a consumer unit be made out of metal on a TT system??
it can,

its that the costs of installing the protection required for a TT system on a domestic is prohibitive,

btw, its not the CU that is in question, its the enclosure for the required protection, in the case of TT, the enclosure for the required RCD.

Ah Steptoe, I think you may find its the consumer units enclosure that is in question! please don't believe me as most don't on this forum, call a mainstream manufacturer and ask them, no dig intended SBS Dave as I am sure your products are wonderful!

So we are in agreement then a Consumer unit can be made out of metal for a TT system

Nice answer JONO by the way, I am sure you will make your way right up the ranks in here, Bronze,Silver, Gold,' Boom'  career complete!

The point is sharpend is that consumer units will be made of metal going forward, the reasoning  behind it from the IET is solely to get rid of loose connections causing a potential fire hazard at the consumer unit (to contain it) I have no doubt most here will tighten the terminal connections applicably but unfortunately as we all know a lot do not.

Right got it, so what about the enclosure on a TT system for an upfront rcd, is that to be metal as well???

Or are you saying that it's unlikely to have a fire at the rcd??

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get it from the IET website on the proposals, I am not a Consumer unit Manufacturer, my advice to you is call one and ask their opinion on where it is going.

Just one of you call them and ask them, I am telling you now all consumer units will be metal within 12 months, ( hiding in the corner waiting for the abuse to hit me :facepalm: )

Here's the relevant bit from AMD3

Regulation 421.1.200 now requires switchgear assemblies including consumer units to have their enclosure manufactured from non-combustible or not readily combustible material or be enclosed in a cabinet or enclosure constructed of non-combustible or not readily combustible material.
It does not say that they must be metal,,, or do my eyes deceive me?

copy this post before I get banned from Mr Smith and in 12 months you can say I am a nob or maybe I was right :)

421.1.200 Switchgear assemblies including consumer units shall:

(i) have their enclosure manufactured from non-combustible or not readily combustible material, or

(ii) be enclosed in a cabinet or enclosure constructed of non-combustible or not readily combustible material.

NOTE 1: Ferrous metal e.g. steel is deemed to be an example of a non-combustible material

NOTE 2: For the purposes of this regulation insulating material e.g. plastic meeting a 960 ºC glow-wire flammability test as defined in BS EN 60695-2-11 is considered to be an example of a not readily combustible material.
The actual proposed reg

Where in that Reg does it say that they can only be metal????????

It only says that metal is one way of compliance, not the only way!

and if you can only use metal,,,, then what about external switch gear assemblies such as at caravan parks (these are big business in my area)

Yes I do Steptoe, but to be honest if steel ignites in a consumer unit then I will probably be dead anyway !!