landline number without the landline

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Afternoon all,
so looking at dropping the landline and TV off the package we currently have with Virgin Media and just basically having broadband. i have a landline for the very very few people who phone me on it for work, most call my mobile but i do think its good to have a landline to show your local. so my question is, can i buy/transfer my landline number so that it calls my mobile without having a physical landline, so not really call divert.
cheers

We have done that with our old landline, that is now provided as a VOIP service via our broadband supplier. Ask if VM if they offer that.

But at £5 per month for our VOIP service and we probably only receive 1 call a week, and never use it to make calls (apart from 0800) I am thinking we might give it up soon and only have mobiles.

Ask if VM if they offer that.
I'm with Virgin and they changed my original "copper" landline over to VOIP because it was easier than fixing recurring underground faults on the old wires. I have one of their packages, with broadband and TV and I don't think the phone cost can be separated or I would probably abandon it as well due to very limited use. My point is, Yes, VM do do VOIP.

Try voicehosts. I pay 2.99 a month. Have an app on my phone. As long as I have data or WiFi the call Comes in. If not it goes to.voicemail and that gets emailed to you.

Been using the system for years and you should be able to port your existing number.

Afternoon all,
so looking at dropping the landline and TV off the package we currently have with Virgin Media and just basically having broadband. i have a landline for the very very few people who phone me on it for work, most call my mobile but i do think its good to have a landline to show your local. so my question is, can i buy/transfer my landline number so that it calls my mobile without having a physical landline, so not really call divert.
cheers
Hi,
I have a ‘landline’ number through ‘EverReach’. It costs about £12.00 per month, and you can pick what STD code you want. I has voicemail etc.

I can recommend Andrews & Arnold at £1.44 per month for VOIP. Not sure if they do redirect to mobile. I have a Grandstream HT-801 ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) so I can continue using old pulse dialling gear and familiar answering machines etc.

I am pretty physical land-lines are going to disappear anyway in the not to distant future..??

Wasn't there some recent news item about BT/Open-Reach starting to phase-out copper cable phone lines.. (some complaints that elderly. non-internet uses would be left vulnerable)..

Our eldest moved into a new build house near Gloucester at the start of last year..
the whole estate is wired underground with fibre into every house.. (independent provider. not BT/Virgin/BRSK etc..) If you want a "house-phone" it has to be provided via the fibre network. No other cables allowed/provided on the estate.

I am pretty physical land-lines are going to disappear anyway in the not to distant future..??

Wasn't there some recent news item about BT/Open-Reach starting to phase-out copper cable phone lines.. (some complaints that elderly. non-internet uses would be left vulnerable)..

Not sure if you are being serious or not? That started a couple of years ago. The cable companies (Virgin etc) started it years ago, and BT followed suit recently.

I can't afford "full fibre" (Where you get a fibre optic cable coming into your house) so I have fibre to cabinet. (Big green box on the footpath down the road from here) from there we have a copper cable to the house. I watched a subcontractor organising it at the pole over the road. Being curious and them being there for several days, I went over and asked, he showed me what they were doing, and about 2 weeks later BT sent a letter offering full fibre (Just as he said they would) but alas not for me, and yes the land line phones in the house no longer work* but the internet does (Obviously since I am here) so yes, anyone that only ever had just a phone (Like my late mother) will have their service cut off, like it or not.

* If you want a handset to work you plug it into your router into the green hidden socket. But like most folk, we have been using mobiles at home for years.

cutomers like to see a landline number, but it's increasingly rare, so we dropped ours altogther as about all we were getting was annoying sales calls.
Problem is Binky, the annoying sales callers are using equipment to scramble no’s so it looks like a local call

I've often wondered how it works?
I've wondered why it's legal.
Most people consider repeated unsolicited calls to be a nuisance, but there is a whole industry, gathering and selling peoples numbers, setting up call centres and allowed to have large blocks of numbers for just that purpose. That's before using computerised systems to disguise the call origin which is surely abusing the system?
There was, perhaps still is, a system to register your landline NOT to receive these calls, but it is clearly completely ineffective.

There was, perhaps still is, a system to register your landline NOT to receive these calls, but it is clearly completely ineffective
It's called the "Telephone Preference Service" It's free for domestic users, BUT It's for UK only, so it does not apply to any call centre abroad.

I've wondered why it's legal.
Most people consider repeated unsolicited calls to be a nuisance, but there is a whole industry, gathering and selling peoples numbers, setting up call centres and allowed to have large blocks of numbers for just that purpose. That's before using computerised systems to disguise the call origin which is surely abusing the system?
There was, perhaps still is, a system to register your landline NOT to receive these calls, but it is clearly completely ineffective.
I've often wondered about the lagality of this too. Surely it is fraud to hide the real identity of your business.

On those computer callers, they can put in the start and end phone numbers and they will call every number in that range. That would probably bypass anything listed on the do not call. I know I've listed on the do not call before and still get phone calls. If you are on a good phone system, they may have spam blockers that would cut down on the spammer calls.

On those computer callers, they can put in the start and end phone numbers and they will call every number in that range. That would probably bypass anything listed on the do not call. I know I've listed on the do not call before and still get phone calls. If you are on a good phone system, they may have spam blockers that would cut down on the spammer calls.
Any number I don't recognise is allowed to go to the ansaphone. Genuine callers will leave a message.

Just to wade in on the debate.
A similar technology behind what's now number spoofing was incorporated into digital, as opposed to analogue, switchboards which enabled company's to allocate specific numbers for various departments and "hide" the direct line numbers, extensions, from the recipient. Even direct you to a central call centre. Ever tried phoning a bank branch on a direct number?
With VOIP this only makes it easier to do.
Visit "who called me UK" to look up a nuisance call and many are now being flagged to indicate the area code can't be validated as VOIP technology has been used and may therefore be spoofed.
Welcome to your fully digital world.