Attaching Fluorescent Batten flush to wall. Please help.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I am just about to attach some Fluorescent Battens to a wall. PLEASE excuse my ignorance - this is the first time I have installed lights like these!

On the back of the Battens, there are two sets of 4 x Bumps (please see the photos) that prevent the Battens from being attached flush to a flat surface, such as a wall or ceiling. This has slightly confused me - are these in place to STOP the Battens being flush against a wall or ceiling? Or does one need to use a certain fitting to install these kind of battens to a flat surface?

I had planned on screwing them in, directly to the walls. The fact there would be an almost 1/8" gap between the Battens & Lights unnerves me. Is this standard? Is it normal to have this gap?

Please see the photos attached. For anyone kind enough to read and respond: How would you go about installing these, and also which holes in the battens (pictured) would you use for the screws?

Any advice would be very much appreciated. All the very best.

Attachments

• IMG_6915.jpg
    IMG_6915.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6914.jpg
    IMG_6914.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 0
Hi all, I am just about to attach some Fluorescent Battens to a wall. PLEASE excuse my ignorance - this is the first time I have installed lights like these!

On the back of the Battens, there are two sets of 4 x Bumps (please see the photos) that prevent the Battens from being attached flush to a flat surface, such as a wall or ceiling. This has slightly confused me - are these in place to STOP the Battens being flush against a wall or ceiling? Or does one need to use a certain fitting to install these kind of battens to a flat surface?

I had planned on screwing them in, directly to the walls. The fact there would be an almost 1/8" gap between the Battens & Lights unnerves me. Is this standard? Is it normal to have this gap?

Please see the photos attached. For anyone kind enough to read and respond: How would you go about installing these, and also which holes in the battens (pictured) would you use for the screws?

Any advice would be very much appreciated. All the very best.
My personal opinion is that if they are fluorescent fittings, they will have one or maybe two ballasts in there, those things get warm, and lights get left on for a long time, the spacing dimples seem a good idea to me

Yip dimples were put on fittings to enable a little bit of cooling, I remember reading some safety articles in the 1980s about fittings that didn’t have the dimples starting house fires due to overheating when screwed straight onto wooden ceilings, of course time and alcohol may be playing tricks on me.

Yip dimples were put on fittings to enable a little bit of cooling, I remember reading some safety articles in the 1980s about fittings that didn’t have the dimples starting house fires due to overheating when screwed straight onto wooden ceilings, of course time and alcohol may be playing tricks on me.
I always wondered why they were there 😃

Especially 'Dimple' whisky?
dimple.jpg

Maybe it's too far back to be clear but they never had dimples like that but the case was raised either side of the BESA box entry points and I'm sure you could get/make a hanger which sat across it into the raised parts to suspend them from jack chains. Is that just me?

Maybe it's too far back to be clear but they never had dimples like that but the case was raised either side of the BESA box entry points and I'm sure you could get/make a hanger which sat across it into the raised parts to suspend them from jack chains. Is that just me?
Most used to supply a little metal piece for hanging on chains

Latest posts