Wiring a Fluorescent Batten - help, please!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I am in the process of setting up a few Fluorescent Lights. The Battens are Knightsbridge T8 36W, and I will be installing Fluorescent T8 36W Tubes.

I would like to wire these into individual Plugs, to be plugged directly into the mains.

I gather that these lights will require only 0.15 Amps, so I will ensure I fit 3 Amp fuses into the Plugs.

My question is: Would it make any difference if I used 0.5mm or 0.75mm Flex on these?
I have some 0.75mm flex in the house, but I have read that 0.5mm flex is the correct type to use for 3 amp Fuses. Should just I buy some 0.5mm flex instead?
Could there be any drawbacks to using the 0.75mm Flex?

I'd really appreciate any advice on this topic. Wishing you all a good day!

Don’t be surprised if the fuses blow on switch on surge. The fuse is to protect the cable not the lights. Use 0.75mm cable and 5a fuses.

At one time did it not go under the heading of 'not a good idea' to put flus on a plug? To save getting a belt from the pins when unplugged when the innards discharged? Probably all done with computers now
Not heard that one before, but few fittings seem to have the large capacitors in these days.

Any reason why T8 fluorescents and not LED ?
T8 LEDs use approx half the power of fluorescents and give approx half the light output. You would need twice as many and each one costs considerably more.

Hello folks,

I am in the process of setting up a few Fluorescent Lights. The Battens are Knightsbridge T8 36W, and I will be installing Fluorescent T8 36W Tubes.

I would like to wire these into individual Plugs, to be plugged directly into the mains.

I gather that these lights will require only 0.15 Amps, so I will ensure I fit 3 Amp fuses into the Plugs.

My question is: Would it make any difference if I used 0.5mm or 0.75mm Flex on these?
I have some 0.75mm flex in the house, but I have read that 0.5mm flex is the correct type to use for 3 amp Fuses. Should just I buy some 0.5mm flex instead?
Could there be any drawbacks to using the 0.75mm Flex?

I'd really appreciate any advice on this topic. Wishing you all a good day!
Why use plugs & sockets? If individual switching is needed use switches. If individual fuses, use FCUs, switched or unswitched.
I have 2 tubes via a switched FCU with a 3A fuse which does not blow.

T8 LEDs use approx half the power of fluorescents and give approx half the light output. You would need twice as many and each one costs considerably more.
I meant use led fittings rather than led replacement tubes, the two are way different

Hello folks, Thank you for all of your responses.

To answer to why Fluorescents instead of LED's: These lights are not being used for standard home lighting. They are being used to cure Polymers. My experience has been that the Fluorescent UV Tubes work better at this than LED tubes, but I could very well be wrong. I'm just going on my own experience. The T8 Fluorescent tubes work well for me, and I'm happy to stick with them.

Please could I ask advice on one more question: Obviously the Ballasts & Fluorescent tubes can get quite hot after being left on for a while. Would standard 0.75mm PVC Flex be OK for this ( https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA0dot75F3slash50.html )?
Or would it be a better idea to use a Heat-Resistant flex in this situation? Any thoughts on this?

All the very best, and thanks again for all of the advice.

Last edited:
Factually incorrect statement.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LAFLT36DL.html
Shows a 36w 4ft T8 florescent as having an output of 3350 lumens costing £2.91 + VAT.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Produc...lurl&msclkid=450e266299fc12eefdb3453c63fc8cd0
Shows a 18w 4ft T8 LED tube as having an output of 2200 lumens costing £7.70 + VAT.

18 is half of 36. I admit 2200 is more than half of 3350 but you would defiantly need more fittings to get the same output and the cost is considerably more per tube and fitting.