Australia

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
americanaussieoutlet.jpg

An old outlet we used to have here in the USA (back in the 1940s for grounded equipment). Rated 10A 250V / 15A 125V, in my mom's place it will give you 240V 60Hz, both slanted pins hot with both sides of our 120VAC (2 phase 120V, 180 degrees apart). Turns out Australian power plugs fit perfectly. Don't know if this outlet ever was used in Australia in the olden days.

americanaussieoutlet.jpg
An old outlet we used to have here in the USA (back in the 1940s for grounded equipment). Rated 10A 250V / 15A 125V, in my mom's place it will give you 240V 60Hz, both slanted pins hot with both sides of our 120VAC (2 phase 120V, 180 degrees apart). Turns out Australian power plugs fit perfectly. Don't know if this outlet ever was used in Australia in the olden days.
Same outlets in NZ too. Just returned to the UK after 15 years as a Foreman Electrician in Auckland. Money is crap over there, getting around 8 quid a hour before the credit crunch but now not much work at all for sparkies. Oz seems a good option as loads of Kiwis have made the move over there. My mates are coining it now & enjoy a much better lifestyle.

As for getting registered as a sparky there, regs are much easier than in the UK & if it is same as NZ a sparky with qualifications in the UK just as to complete a Practical Assessment.

Same outlets in NZ too. Just returned to the UK after 15 years as a Foreman Electrician in Auckland. Money is crap over there, getting around 8 quid a hour before the credit crunch but now not much work at all for sparkies. Oz seems a good option as loads of Kiwis have made the move over there. My mates are coining it now & enjoy a much better lifestyle.As for getting registered as a sparky there, regs are much easier than in the UK & if it is same as NZ a sparky with qualifications in the UK just as to complete a Practical Assessment.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I earned about the equivalent of

Don't be fooled or sucked into the gravy train! X(

The need for sparks isn't exactly what it says on the four X tin.

I went down this route via Vetassess and can honestly say that its all cloak and dagger stuff untill you realise they basically want you to retrain when you get there. :eek:

Yes there is a paper work assessment where you have to forward copies of all your qualifications signed by a professional someone else (accountant, doctor), work references from employers, work history and experience etc, etc, etc and pay AUS$600. They then give you an assessment level.

I flew through the paperwork assessment with a level 1 (which included a note stating excellent applicant) and was asked to proceed to a practical assessment at Blackburn college and pay another AUS$1600. I booked the practical.

Bear in mind this process is only to support your visa, not guarantee it.

From there I felt as if something was a miss and started investigating it deeper. I contacted a few friends in Oz to get a feel of the situation and see if they could do some research. headbang

Sure enough after a bit of digging and friends research the story started to come to light that there are Brits over there that have sold up everything and can't get any work at all, even though they are qualified sparks.

Sparks that are living purely on their savings after 4-6months of being in the country.

To cut this short I found out that:

You will need to obtain a license to work as a spark.

You cannot work unsupervised - so which Oz company would employ a pom that they have to monitor?

You have to basically retrain at college - they call it gap training but its more like a full time course.

If you are lucky to get a job, you will be paid as a trainee (as supervised) and will need to complete a log book every week for a year.

I cancelled the practical assessment after contacting Vetassess and asked what would happen when I reached Oz?

A girl I spoke to said that she would send me a copy of a document that they send out to all people who have been successful through Vetassess (although they don't normally send it untill you have coughed up all the money and taken the full exams).

When it came I opened it up to find it saying 'the 6 steps to gaining your qualification'.

It was at this point I pulled the plug on it and lost about AUS$400 for cancellation.

Good on anyone who does do it and can make a living at it over there, but the grass isn't as green as it appears.
default_good%20luck.gif

As I said at the start of this post its a a bit of a gravy train. When the true picture is revealed and people have already paid out, there's not going back. :_|

Hope this helps!

Warren

but you dont have to go through all that,

not for NZ anyways,

and I got on the POL (as opposed to the OSL) , (I think it was called then), so I could work anywhere in Oceania.

I went on a tourist visa, then when I got a job, after 3 weeks, I applied for a work visa, then got it upgraded.

paying someone to get all the paperwork sorted out for you is very like paying out for your qualifications in the first place,

its a fact that the agency applicants are actually marked more severe than sole applicants.

go to the consulates site and see how many points you can get, usually 10+yrs proven experience is a whole lot of points to start with,

Latest posts