Bathroom Down-Lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wikkinade

Reaction score
Hi everyone, there is probably a really simple answer but I've searched the net everywhere and cannot findit.

I was changing a gy6.35 bulb in one of my bathroom recessed down-lights.  I accidentally dropped the covering glass lens and it smashed.  I want to get a replacement lens but can't find them anywhere.  I have no idea of the make of the lights (fitted before I moved in) and I can't get into the roof space.  It's just a plain, clear, round glass disc. 

Is there a special name for them?  I've tried disc, lens, glass cover etc. and can't find anything.

Any help greatly appreciated

The vast majority of recessed downlights are GU10 mains or MR16 12V halogen (or LED) spotlight and the glass discs for them are all quite similar in size (c50mm dia) and often interchange. 

GY6.35 is unusual but if you had the dimensions of that glass it would be easier to suggest something.   A local glass cutter can easily cut a disk for you of the right thickness etc. if you take another along.  For a small lamp like that I don't think it is laminated /toughened although you'd know as your broken one would have either stayed together when broken / shattered into square bits if it was.

Any chance of a picture ? :)

:worthless:
Sorry, couldn't figure out how to attach a photo and figured the description of a glass round disk/lens pretty much summed it up.  I wanted to know if they were known by any other name as I couldn't find anything.  I  am now hopefully attaching it for you.

The vast majority of recessed downlights are GU10 mains or MR16 12V halogen (or LED) spotlight and the glass discs for them are all quite similar in size (c50mm dia) and often interchange. 

GY6.35 is unusual but if you had the dimensions of that glass it would be easier to suggest something.   A local glass cutter can easily cut a disk for you of the right thickness etc. if you take another along.  For a small lamp like that I don't think it is laminated /toughened although you'd know as your broken one would have either stayed together when broken / shattered into square bits if it was.
Thanks, it's not laminated, it shattered into several pieces.  It's 2 inch in diameter and about 1.5mm thick

WP_20131111_005 (640x524).jpg

WP_20131111_008 (800x480).jpg

If you are careful a standard 12 volt mr16 lamp lens should fit. I have removed one once for this purpose. Obviously you have to be very careful when removing it. 

Latest posts