Bathroom Pull Cord Broken Switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blu-ray

Reaction score
Hi there,

New to the forum, just seeking some advice as a non professional home owner. I have a broken bathroom pull cord switch. Upon taking it apart I found the earth had been taped back and there was just the old red and black cables going into the switch, marked L1 and L2.. I went to B and Q to get another switch and wired up according to the instructions but still nothing. The switch controls about 4 Led spot lights. Should I be looking for a particular type of switch or is it likely the fault is elsewhere?

This could get complicated.
Is your new switch a two way?, i.e. has it three terminals? Is one "COM", or just "C" ? If so the connections are C and L1.
What made you believe the switch to be broken? Does it feel/sound to be switching?
Have you got a meter to test it?
If not, temporarily connect the two switch wires in a terminal block, switch the power back on and see if the lights work.

If there are only a red and a black wire there it was probably originally wired back to a single ceiling light where the live feed would be. Your LED spots, by age alone, must be a conversion, involving introduction of a junction box, probably located above the ceiling where the original fitting was.
If your lamps are 12 volt there will also be one or more drivers, (a sort of special transformer).

The old switch stopped clicking so presumed something had gone - it had L1 L2 and COM terminals as does the new one. I'll try the terminal block test, thanks!

One wire in COM the other L1 doesn't matter which way around. The taped up earth should go to the earth terminal.

Result, lights working again. I'd used L1 and L2 instead of L1 and COM. Many thanks to both for responding. Cheers!

Result, lights working again. I'd used L1 and L2 instead of L1 and COM. Many thanks to both for responding. Cheers!
Never seen wires connected like that. One should always be in the common. Very strange

I did read the original post, that is why I am asking.

I read it that two other forum members assume the light works when it was connected incorrectly to the switch, since it was said, never seen it work that way, very odd (Not word for word)

Latest posts