Battery bank terminals

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrjmegson

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry if this has been dealt with already.

Hopefully a simple question.

Both my battery banks have the positive and negative cables returning to the inverter coming from the master battery.

Now someone I know who builds power systems for vehicles told me that I should have the positive coming from the master and the negative coming from the last battery in the bank, as eventually the way I have it will cause the batteries to go out of balance.

The instructions for my batteries (see pic) say to do what I've done, both cables coming from the master.

I think most people agree the ideal situation is a BUS bar, but I can't do that on my system.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,

Jay

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-02-11-14-16-33-28_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-02-11-14-16-33-28_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg
    555.5 KB · Views: 0
what you have is correct. The master wull contain a BMS that will keep the batteries in balance -that's what the data cable links are for. Vehicle battery packs are not the same.

Hey guys, sorry if this has been dealt with already.

Hopefully a simple question.

Both my battery banks have the positive and negative cables returning to the inverter coming from the master battery.

Now someone I know who builds power systems for vehicles told me that I should have the positive coming from the master and the negative coming from the last battery in the bank, as eventually the way I have it will cause the batteries to go out of balance.
The theory is correct for batteries in parallel but the reality is in this application, dont worry about it. It's due to resistance and cable lengths that makes a very small - miniscule difference and is widely followed in vehicles, caravans, motorhomes etc.

The instructions for my batteries (see pic) say to do what I've done, both cables coming from the master.
Thats absolutely fine.

I think most people agree the ideal situation is a BUS bar, but I can't do that on my system.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,

Jay
My thoughts - dont worry about it, ignore him.

Cheers guys, that's really put my mind at rest.

As always, thank you very much for your replies, they are appreciated.

Jay