Help with installing a new US3000C Pylontech battery to existing hybrid system

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BasalGanglia

Reaction score
I recently had a hybrid solar system installed with a LuxPower hybrid inverter and two us3000c Pylontech batteries. I decided to purchase and add another us3000c Pylontech battery of exactly the same spec.

So I started by switching off the Isolator switch and also the switch on the inverter and disconnecting everything. I then put the new battery in the top of the stack to make it the Master. Connected the batteries in Parallel but left the power cables from the inverter and data cable unconnected.

So I had previously waited for the current two batteries to be fully charged. I then turned the batteries on in order from the Master to the last battery. The batteries have an LED light which has 'RUN' underneath and a set of six light with an triangle underneath to indicate state of charge. All six state of charge lights where full lit on the current batteries.

I then pressed the SW Run button on the new Master battery. This new battery had two LED lights lit on the state of charge. On the two current batteries each LED light on the RUN started to flash and on the new battery the RUN Led light was fully lit. So seems like it had started the balancing successfully.

I left it running over night. In the morning all the lights were out except the RUN led light on each battery including the new master battery was flashing, alternating between each battery.

I then turned the batteries back off, reconnected everything. The positive power inverter cable to the Master's other positive connection and the negative inverter to the last battery on the negative connection. I then connected the data cable from the inverter to the rs485. (The battery also had an option for CAN, which online videos seem to use. But since the inverter was originally connected to the rs485 port by the installers I added it back to the same one).

After switching everything on the battery LED lights remain unlit and the inverter asks 'Add a battery?'. So my question is should I try to enter the settings on the inverter again or maybe try pressing the SW Run button on the master again with everything including the inverter connected. Or should I try the CAN connection instead of the rs485? I didn't want to try anything else until I got some expert advice.

thanks in advance
James

Did you daisy chain the short RJ45 link cables between the batteries correctly (the battery with the empty Link0 is the master).

Did you daisy chain the short RJ45 link cables between the batteries correctly (the battery with the empty Link0 is the master).
Yeah I did that. So had Link1 from Master to Link0 to next Slave Battery. And then that Battery from Link1 to Link0 on the last battery. So nothing connected to Link0 on the Master

I would go back to your installer at this point. I have no experience with the Luxpower and how it interfaces to the BMS, but at the very least it will probably need telling that there are more Ah than there were. Definitely don't go plugging cables into random places they weren't before, or try to re-configure the charger if you aren't confident you know what needs doing. It is possible to cause irreversible damage by messing up the battery charging profile.

Thankyou. I did email the installer a few days ago but they never replied. Will give them a ring.

have you checked the dip switches are set correctly?
Don't think the address DIP switches matter for a single stack, they are just about setting the ID for each master on big systems with a comms hub. Can be left on default for a single stack of batteries without a comms hub. Interestingly, looks like the Luxpower does either CANbus or RS485 towards the BMS and the signals are present on the same connector. The OP states the cable was plugged into the RS485 socket on the existing US3000C stack end and the system was presumably working. The Pylon Tech compat sheet says BMS comms are CAN for Luxpower so this doesn't line up.

Don't think the address DIP switches matter for a single stack, they are just about setting the ID for each master on big systems with a comms hub. Can be left on default for a single stack of batteries without a comms hub. Interestingly, looks like the Luxpower does either CANbus or RS485 towards the BMS and the signals are present on the same connector. The OP states the cable was plugged into the RS485 socket on the existing US3000C stack end and the system was presumably working. The Pylon Tech compat sheet says BMS comms are CAN for Luxpower so this doesn't line up.
older versions liked the master to be set, but this is the newer battery and that may well have been dispensed with.

I've not installed Luxpower, but Solis uses the CAN with pylontech batteries, again Luxpower may well be different.

Btw. I have 2 X 2000 and 1 x 5000 pylontech and My cables are pretty much like yours

rj45 set like your image
Master port 1 to 1st slave port 0
1st Slave port 1 to 2nd slave port 0...

My + & - are opposite though I don't think this matters.
Master + right to left 1st slave ect.

Only cable missing is the A/can cable.

Also my dip switches are all set at zero/off

Locked to prevent being resurrected (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.