Battery to be Charged from Solar Panels

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malc@Soke

Reaction score
A Friend of mine has Solar Panels, can anyone recommend a battery that could be charged up from the 13amp socket when its sunny to save for when they want to use it. It cannot be charged from the Solar Panels due to the fact that the Company that owns the panel get the money from the grid. What is the biggest and best, and of course price

Hi Malc
Most domestic storage batteries charge and discharge DC.
So plugging directly into an AC circuit won't work.
The battery requires an AC to DC to AC device commonly called an Inverter.
AC coupled as John suggests, it can be programmed to charge the battery when you have DC from the solar panels.
Or from timed Off-Peak AC from the grid.
And discharge in between.
Leaving the existing PV panels and Solar Inverter to preserve the existing arrangement with the lease company.
"What is the biggest and best, and of course price"
Depends on how much energy the PV panels provide, and the amount of electricity the house uses.

not sure what you're thinking of, or how much load you want to connect,

search portable power stations

no idea how good/useful as not used one myself

Before getting a supplier in to quote my Friend wants to know what exactly what is required. His Solar Panels can produce up to 4.2Kw.
He wants to charge the battery in the day and then switch to use the battery at night or when its a dull day. So Battery approx 6kw, Inverter and what else and how difficult a job is it. Any ideas of Price

Latest posts