Bin Or Linux?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and Im trying to teach you how to download this,!  :slap

ok, use top link,

scroll down

lubuntu-12.04-alternate-i386.iso.torrent 26-Apr-2012 10:19 27K ^^^^^^^^^ go to that link , I think I tried to link a link,  :C

or, the torrent from here,

top left,

Ive got that one running too, but a slower download, takes me about an hour........

So go for 12.04?

Now you'll laugh..............but a "torrent"............heard of it but what is it? I know lads at work talk about using them for downloading films. What do I do with it? If I click on the link it just says about searching the web for a suitable program etc......

frickin windoze!!!!!!!

doesnt even come with a torrent programme,

sorry, I cant help you there,

try a search and see if transmission is available for windows,

you REALLY need to get yourself a Linux box sorted, comes with all this stuff preinstalled, and not a load of stuff you dont need.!!!!  :slap

I'll have a bash re-burning the 12.04 Lubuntu alternate image I already have using Infrarecorder rather than Windows and try that. Cheers for your help anyway! 

Erm.................where in Ubuntu do the downloaded files go? As in My Documents/Downloads "equivalent"? I'm swapping between pcs all the time now, XP, Win7 and Ubuntu then Android...............

Just watch the Mac boys start!

Scrap that.............it's the same as Windoze! :coat

Last edited by a moderator:
:slap

yes, you will find Ubuntu is actually very logical,

it does what it says on the tin,

:pmsl:

and, if you insert a blank CD it will ask if you want to start Brassero, and simply burn an iso using drag and drop,  :D

Erm.................where in Ubuntu do the downloaded files go? As in My Documents/Downloads "equivalent"? I'm swapping between pcs all the time now, XP, Win7 and Ubuntu then Android...............

Just watch the Mac boys start!

Scrap that.............it's the same as Windoze! :coat
default_God%20no.gif

DONT say that!!!!!!!!!!

:_|

ok, I have a bootable stick here,

and,

have put a GOOD .iso on it you can burn from,

PM me your address and I'll stick it in the post tomorrow,

I dont have any blank CDs to hand, but will have a look in a bit and see if I can find one and pre-burn it for you.

I tried burning my 12.04 Lubuntu alternate image again but THIS time with Infrarecorder - made no difference. Still hung at 14% on "Select and install software / Configuring language-pack-en-base"

Grrrrrrrrrrr! Also tried the 13.04 alternate  ISO image burnt with Infrarecorder...........stops at the SAME place, 14% etc.

Something I'm missing?

Hmm..........tried again with the 13.04 alternate  ISO image burnt with Infrarecorder...........stopped at the SAME place, 14%. So I left it for over an hour. Then got a window asking me to insert the 13.04 Raring Ringtail disc. So I burnt one and tried that. It asked again for the RR disc. I just popped the SAME disc in and it started installing again. Has done this a few times now. As far as Installing GRUB boot loader now.......................

Pretty sure I could have just used the same 13.04 alternate disc and kept putting it back in.

Weird!

Well, it seemed to finish installing, told me to remove the CD. It re-booted, Lubuntu started up BUT the screen looks like this:

Mouse works as in dragging the cursor around but leaves a "trace" of where it's been. Can't see any icons etc

Seems like your cpu and ram are struggling,

On installing did you go for default, then later on in an options page click minimal.
Guess default.............don't remember clicking minimal...............can I "diagnose" from say a Live Lubuntu disc - does that exist? Or is it re-install time?

Here's a plan....................I'll try again with 12.04 alternate and just WAIT when it gets to 14%!

Same aggro with 12.04!!! Loaded, stopped for ages at 14%, asked for the disc that was already in (Precise Pangolin) a couple of times so ejected and reinserted.......................finished installing and SAME carp screen as above!

???

RAM issue maybe? Seems this PC uses RDRAM only which isn't common now?

Canoeboy said:
You'll need more than 128mB to run Lubuntu - more like triple that to get it running at any sort of sensible speed

128mB and it will be like a dog !!!
Weird, it WAS running XP Home Premium halfway OK as in BETTER than this...........thought Linux would have been less "hungry"!

Canoeboy said:
Have you tried Macpup ? 

http://macpup.org/forums/index.php/topic,5.0.html

Is that the same as Puppy Linux?
I like the look of Zenix any good? Discontinued maybe?>

TBH I love the look of Ubuntu pity this Lubuntu isn't working!

I had a go at putting Wary Puppy 5.5 on. Not 100% keen on the look but got further with it than Lubuntu. The write up on it's site seems to ward you off of installing on an HDD though however refers to a "frugal install" if you really must?

TBH I though Linux would be the "easy" solution/upgrade to this old PC but I'm considering as someone said just putting XP back on it!

Update: With Steptoe's input I tried loading Lubuntu 12.04 on this pc from an image he kindly sent me. Same result, screen looks appalling as above in post #34 and mouse leaves a "trace". Thinking maybe try a different graphics card? Can't understand why XP Home worked to a degree albeit a bit slow but had no graphics problems.

Did you tick the minimal box during install?

Its either that or puppy Linux, or maybe DSL.

There are otherwise there too, I'll have a hunt later for you.

Oh, just thought, it may need a 'proprietary driver's

Was it hard wired to the internet during install?

You can still install them afterwards too, I'll check later how its done on Lubuntu,

or, you may need to turn off 3D acceleration, and just use 2D.

Did you tick the minimal box during install? Didn't get the option to do this and I've had a few goes now with your 12.04 and previously the 12.04 & 13.04 versions I downloaded!

Its either that or puppy Linux, or maybe DSL.

There are otherwise there too, I'll have a hunt later for you.

Oh, just thought, it may need a 'proprietary driver's

Was it hard wired to the internet during install? Yes it was as via cable

You can still install them afterwards too, I'll check later how its done on Lubuntu, Stumped here, don't see how as there's nothing to "click" on, on the Desktop to get menus up etc because of the fuzzy screen!

or, you may need to turn off 3D acceleration, and just use 2D. Ditto, the fuzzy screen issue

Seems this pc used "odd" RAM, Rambus / RDRAM which I think will make upping it expensive / difficult if it's a RAM issue.

Cheers