Bin Or Linux?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
are you trying to download it on slitaz?

remember, slitaz is like a pared down version of a proper OS, much the same as android, iphone etc wont open all types of .pdf , slitaz cant work with all types of *nix files, and that site may NOT recognise the kernel type slitaz runs on as its modified from full blown *nix, just like windows and mac are modified from proper *nix too,  :)

are you trying to download it on slitaz?

remember, slitaz is like a pared down version of a proper OS, much the same as android, iphone etc wont open all types of .pdf , slitaz cant work with all types of *nix files, and that site may NOT recognise the kernel type slitaz runs on as its modified from full blown *nix, just like windows and mac are modified from proper *nix too,  :)
I CAN download the file on both Windoze & Slitaz no problem. Appreciate SliTaz being a slimmed down OS. I was more getting at the link you gave me for the Karaoke CD G burning software takes you to a page title "Ubuntu Karaoke Cd g" so you'd assume it would be 'nix software, hitting the download and you end up with an .exe file! More after the software............I can run that on A N Other 'buntu machine.

Mixed results btw with VCD. A smallish .avi played fine though no colour to the video (more like b&w / sepia). An .mp4 wasn't good and an 8GB .mkv file the same. This graphics card maybe?

Cheers.

headbang

I keep getting corrupt kernel on my slitaz install,

will try putting it on a CD and booting from there,

its either that or cos im not hardwired to t'internet [very likely I think on USB]  :|

This here PC, now with SliTaz running and seemingly stable etc. BUT I also have that came with it a 6.4GB Segate HDD................it was actually lying LOOSE in the bay the screws having been used when they upgraded I guess to the 20GB one!

I might as well put it back in and screw it down properly (got a bagful). Under Linux do I need to format it in any particular way or set the jumpers? 

Cheers

I just set my HDD to CS, I think it depends on your mobo tbh,

you can format it using gpart or disc-utility once you turn the PC on,

problem is, you may have to manually 'mount' it everytime as it wasnt there during install.

there is a way of doing it automatically, I'll see if I can figure out how I done mine when I added a 2nd HDD to an already installed OS

oh, ext4 is the now preferred format,  :D

Hmmmmmm...........I set the spare 6.4GB HDD to CS on the jumper and installed it. Computer wouldn't boot. Swapped the DRIVE 1 / DRIVE 0 IDE plugs (one cable to the mobo) over and all boots up OK (This SitTaz is QUICK!).

If I use TazPanel I can see the new drive that appears to already be split 4GB / 2GB. I can also access the new drive via My Documents

But running Gparted it only sees the 20GB one.....................

How do I "access" it to reformat it?

Ta

jeez man,

what do you want from a pared down OS?   :shakehead

I dont know TBH, and just atm I dont have much time to play,

I cant even get slitaz onto my lappie,  :(   keeps telling me I have Kernel problems, as if I didnt know already, my wife tells me daily.  :eek:

jeez man,

what do you want from a pared down OS?   :shakehead

I dont know TBH, and just atm I dont have much time to play,

I cant even get slitaz onto my lappie,  :(   keeps telling me I have Kernel problems, as if I didnt know already, my wife tells me daily.  :eek:
No worries you've been heaps of help with the rest anyhow. I was trying to get Skype on as my mate's Russian and I guess he might want it to talk to them back at the farm/gulag or wherever spawned him! Also got him a nice Anna Chapman (that spy bird) wallpaper to remind him of home:

Having fun getting used to it all tbh. All this typing from a terminal though...............weird!

very nice  :D

yes, but it just shows you how powerful it can be from the terminal,

its a bit of an issue with the lower OS's that less stuff is GUI, I suppose its the sacrifice you have to make to get something as useable on a lower spec machine.

Im meant to be having a major clearout over the weekend [if I get the time], we need the spare room back, and will see if I have any old GFX cards left from the last clearout.

as an aside, does

lshwwork in Slitaz?

try

Code:
tazpkg get-install get-skype && get-skype

Last edited by a moderator:
The latest drivers can be found from HP
thats a reassuring sight from the advert,

HP are VERY *nix friendly, they release their code to the *nix developers,

so on that chart of yours, and that bit of info Id be happy enough to buy that for myself if I needed one,  :)

OK, just had a root around, [so to speak]

have you looked in the repositories [TazPanel/SlitazPanel] for Skype? it should be in there, along with FF,  :)

and any secured codecs you need for some videos along with VLC etc etc etc,,,,,,

remember, you need to also download the flash plugin to watch video online via FF.

thats a reassuring sight from the advert,

HP are VERY *nix friendly, they release their code to the *nix developers,

so on that chart of yours, and that bit of info Id be happy enough to buy that for myself if I needed one,  :)
Just thinking out loud..........is 32MB enough? I'm used now to like 512MB and above on gfx cards?

It is big enough, depending on what you want to do, the problem is that as slitaz runs in ram either it has to slow down to sacrifice graphics space, or the graphics wont have any room in ram to make up the shortfall if you are watching hi end video.

Remember, its an old pc, how much do you really want to spend on it, or is it purely for the experience/learning curve of doing it?

It is big enough, depending on what you want to do, the problem is that as slitaz runs in ram either it has to slow down to sacrifice graphics space, or the graphics wont have any room in ram to make up the shortfall if you are watching hi end video.

Remember, its an old pc, how much do you really want to spend on it, or is it purely for the experience/learning curve of doing it?
Just a learning curve really. So far spent a tenner on RAM and a couple of quid on a BIOS battery (we'll forget the CD & DVD-R's I bought before I realised I could try distros from RW's!).

So another £5 to £10 on a gfx card wouldn't break the bank. There's even second hand 64MB ones on eBay for that sort of money inc the postage! When I give it back I want my mate another Linux convert!

If I could get an Ubuntu derivative on it would be good.

Latest posts