Birds and fish dying

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There seems to be a global phenomenon at the moment. Birds dropping out of the sky and fish floating belly up in the oceans. Any thoughts on whats happening Patch?
Their dying? :C

No one knows yet. Something like West Nile Virus is a possibility in the birds.

They are doing tests at the moment, but nothing shown up AFAIK.

Should I direct the question back at you? What are the signs of the apocalypse?

Isn't it a bit like life imitating art?

There was a TV series recently where that happened.

Ha ha yeah its about 14m by 8m ish. Yeah I can see about 6 dead carp , the pond is still got lots of ice on it but we can see the fish belly up under it, but it's got a some bull rushes on one side so there may be more under there!

Ha ha yeah its about 14m by 8m ish. Yeah I can see about 6 dead carp , the pond is still got lots of ice on it but we can see the fish belly up under it, but it's got a some bull rushes on one side so there may be more under there!
weve had no fish die up to yet although there are small heat sticks to stop ice forming on the pool surface.

We lost our 6 largest Koi in the cold snap & 2 large goldfish.

Normally I leave the filter pump running which has a little heating, just enough to stop freezing.

However, the pump packed in just before the freeze hit!

Thought that I would look at it on the weekend, only for it to be frozen in!!!

Took it out on Sunday after it had all thawed, now need to get home in daylight to find out what's wrong!!!

Gutted, some new litle Koi in the summer I think.

The largest was about 2' long!!!

The smallest we lost was about 1'

Should have put a hole in the ice I guess, my fault really.

Badge, what are these heat sticks please? I have 2 "spare" ways in my pump cabinet.

My set up is nothing compared to yours mind!!!

We lost our 6 largest Koi in the cold snap & 2 large goldfish.Normally I leave the filter pump running which has a little heating, just enough to stop freezing.

However, the pump packed in just before the freeze hit!

Thought that I would look at it on the weekend, only for it to be frozen in!!!

Took it out on Sunday after it had all thawed, now need to get home in daylight to find out what's wrong!!!

Gutted, some new litle Koi in the summer I think.

The largest was about 2' long!!!

The smallest we lost was about 1'

Should have put a hole in the ice I guess, my fault really.

Badge, what are these heat sticks please? I have 2 "spare" ways in my pump cabinet.

My set up is nothing compared to yours mind!!!
please sidewinder i have named ours a electricity substation :^O

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/pond-supplies/pond-equipment/pond-lighting-and-electrics/ice-control/aquael-pond-heater-300w.html?ref=googlebase ive just plugged both of these into the twin outside socket in our electricity sub station on the side of the pond :p :worship:worship:^O :^O

can't you chuck in a tropical fish tank element. might just take the edge off that volume of water?
i wouldnt like to try it being as ponds are outside and tanks/aquariums are internal. plus these heaters are basically the same things really, just made for outdoor pool use ;)

Thanks for all the replies. I wasnt aware that people with ponds were losing fish but that seems to be temperature related. Still don't seem to be any answers about the worldwide bird/ fish phenomenon.... perhaps the fish got poisoned and then birds ate them?