Voltage optimisers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldnewbie

Reaction score
Hi. I've got a problem where my solar inverter is locking out when it sees the incoming grid volts > 256v for more than 10mins. This is starting to happen more frequently now that the sun is getting higher in the sky (only had the panels since September 2022). I have been in contact with NPG to tell them the volts are routinely at or around 259 / 260 for significant periods and am awaiting their visit. However I am only 50m from the substation and so may continue to have the problem going forward. One line of thought I am having is to fit a voltage optimiser. I shunned this 10 years ago when they were the "in thing" but think now might be a good time to fit one. Any experience / thoughts welcome.

Thanks in advance

Hi. I've got a problem where my solar inverter is locking out when it sees the incoming grid volts > 256v for more than 10mins. This is starting to happen more frequently now that the sun is getting higher in the sky (only had the panels since September 2022). I have been in contact with NPG to tell them the volts are routinely at or around 259 / 260 for significant periods and am awaiting their visit. However I am only 50m from the substation and so may continue to have the problem going forward. One line of thought I am having is to fit a voltage optimiser. I shunned this 10 years ago when they were the "in thing" but think now might be a good time to fit one. Any experience / thoughts welcome.

Thanks in advance
waste of money, get NPG to fix the grid fault, as it sounds like an issue with the local transformer.

waste of money, get NPG to fix the grid fault, as it sounds like an issue with the local transformer.

...using VOs to solve this isn't normally allowed anyway, as the inverter no longer knows the grid voltage (which will then be pushed even higher.)
There are othe possible causes to check though - cable sizing (is it only an issue when generating?) and I've seen inverters 'misreading' voltage

Latest posts