Board upgrade and new feed tails

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to admit I know now why I had a 11 year absence from this forum. You get binky, UNG Andy et al, all long term pals just winding me up. Bye folks. Not worth being part of a club.

This has always been a helpful forum, all forums have a degree of banter, All the way back to the days of the wizard much good info passed on to those in need of it .
Unfortunately sometimes innocent posts on preferences ,methods,interpretation of regs ect,ect are misinterpreted by some who may read them differently to others .
I don't believe folk deliberately snipe, *****,or intend to upset others ,its a strange thing the written word sometimes 🤔.

I do not know anyone personally on this forum but am happy to be a member.

I always thought the galvanised capping was only to hold the cable in place and prevent it being compromised by the plasterers trowel, even oval capping/conduit I see as a compromise, steel conduit is the way forward. 😱

The 16th edition was first issued 1991 and the 15th edition was first issued in 1981 so I'm a bit confused by the detail in your comment

I've seen 100A fuses fitted on 16mm² copper DNO supply cables, in fact most of the old local network infrastructure that is still in use in my local area is only the equivalent of 4 core 16mm²
Thanks for pointing out the error. Yes the 15th Edition was introduced in 1981 but did not become enforceable until 1984 in order to allow jobs which been specified and started to be completed to the 14 Ed due to the major changes involved.

The street distributor cable has a 400A fuse so the cut out fuse has to protect the meter, the meter tails, and the consumer unit. The plastic cut outs were introduced in 1970 in two basic sizes 80/60A and 100A. At the same time due to metrification the distribution cables were changed to PVC concentric cables with a PVC insulated 25mm solid aluminium phase conductor with bare copper concentric neutral conductors - all covered with PVC sheath overall - this cable had only two or four conductors and was used for PME/MEN supplies only and was rated at 100A.
For non PME - SEN supplies the cable was split concentric with a PVC insulated 16mm stranded copper phase conductor with 70% insulated concentric copper netral conductors and 30% bare copper earth conductors with PVC sheath overall. These cable were rated at 80A.
These cable are often confuse with SWA cable due to the concentric conductors
A 100A cut out may not have a 100 a fuse installed - it could be 80A or 60 A fuse. Obviously as power company employees we would not fit fuses with a higher rating them the meter, tails, or consumer mainswitch and would not connect the installation at all if the consumer unit tails exceeded 3m.