Bonding gas to earth rod??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lillpete

Reaction score
I'm currently looking at a job where the gas needs bonding however it will a pig to get back to the fuseboard as the board is in the middle of the house and the gas is in outside wall. It has a tt supply so is it acceptable to run the bond directly to the rod??

Why cant he fit a earth bar near the rod (inside the property) and run a earth to that from the gas? and then put that on the cert. would this be a acceptable way around this?

Just label the conductors rod (main),gas and DB-1 or something like that

Other bonds would need to go back to it too.
Why? :C

Am i missing something here?

Ian this is not a dig at you just happens to be 2 posts that we don't agree on:x

The MET is the first earth block after the supplied Earth (in this case the rod) so if you snip the rod cable and install an earth block that will then become your MET and all bonds would need to go to that.

Ian you are CORRECT:innocent:innocent:innocent I AM WRONG

All bonding and earthing needs to go to the MET as near as possable to the main incomming.

SO THEY CAN'T BE SPLIT AS I PREVIOSLY SAID:Blushing

To the OP you need to connect it to the MET!

the whole point in bonding everything together is to keep everything at the same voltage. if you dont, and instead spike something instead of back to MET, then there is a chance of a voltage difference between 2 pipes. and that could well be under normal conditions, with even higher voltage under fault conditions

If I could just add my thoughts on this---and yes I am already expecting attempts to immediately shoot me down, but here goes...

Firstly ,i agree it is preferrable to have the Main Earthing Conductor, and All Main Equipotential bonding conductors run seperately to a single point in an installation.

Secondly, is it not acceptable to combine the Earthing conductor & a Main bonding conductor in a single conductor provided it is sized to be adequate for both purposes?

This would allow for the solution proposed by ElectekAir,i.e the existing Earthing conductor passed through an earth block inside the property close to the rod creating a new position for the MET.The section of this cable runnig back to the C.U would serve the function of The Earth conductor but now also the Bonding conductor for the water pipe {presuming there is one[]. It is perfectly acceptable practice to combine main bonding to gas & water in a single conductor afterall !...there will be no break in the conductors cos they are originating from the MET block....... notice at the consumer unit and on the Cert would of course be a requirement.Woud be interested in guidance of any Reg prohibiting this.....just trying to find a solution for an akward problem the OP has.......thanks

A1 - only problem with that would be testing Ze. but ive got to admit i have done this before (TT, no rod, gas to earth & water. so water crimped and extended .5mtr to rod. DB clearly labelled)

Yes ,good point Andy, I didnt consider the practicality of physically measuring Ze. .I suppose.long test leads would be the only solution ,and then also maybe measuring again at the c.u. to produce a local ZE [Zdb]

By the way Andy I have just noticed that congratulations will soon be in order...just 10 more posts to the Big one ! :)

the whole point in bonding everything together is to keep everything at the same voltage. if you dont' date=' and instead spike something instead of back to MET, then there is a chance of a voltage difference between 2 pipes. and that could well be under normal conditions, with even higher voltage under fault conditions[/quote']If I'm reading it correctly, he's NOT talking about a separate new earth spike for the gas, but connecting it to the SAME earth spike that's already forming the TT earth.

you cannot use the rod as a MEB,

or interrupt its path to MET

the only alternative would be to use a mechanical joint,

ie, soldered or similar,

IMHO I would not even accept the use of a wago or similar,

and even at that, I would put it down as requires improvement on a PIR.

to intentionally do this wouldnt be good practice in my eyes, but then again, I have been reprimanded for saying if its not done to my standards then its bad practice, so who cares what I think.