Boy He's Going To Be Disappointed (Colour Inkjet Vd Colour Laser)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've always fancied a colour laser printer.

So when an almost new HP CP1525n came up for free on the local freecycle, I was delighted to be the first one to apply for and get it.

I collected it this morning from an old chap.

The printer is 1 year old and has printed 2015 pages in that time, and all 4 toners are now almost empty.

The guy told me that rather than buy a new set of 4 toner cartridges for it, for less money he bought a new inkjet printer.

Boy is he going to be disappointed in the short life and high cost of the ink cartridges for that.

Meanwhile I'll just buy a set of new toner cartridges and enjoy years of trouble free low cost colour printing.

Just feeling smug.

A set of genuine toner cartridges is going to cost you around £200. Copy toner seems fine for black, but poor colour rendition so use genuine for colour printing.

Actually I don't need to do anything straight away.  the black toner is still 40% full, the rest about 10%. Since most of my printing is black & white that will do for a while.

Looking on the bay, the £60 compatible sets look okay (100% positive feedback) whereas the £40 set gets some bad feedback.  So I'll buy a set of those ready for when I need them.  But I'll keep the originals should I feel like refilling them.

At least I should never again have to buy Lexmark ink cartridges again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lasers have got cheap now. I have two an Epson which I am thinking of  replacing and a Dell which seems to have very reasonably priced compatible cartridges. I could never have an inkjet do far to much printing for that. 

I have a laserjet pro 100 mfp175 and the original ones that come with it are not very full so won't last long. Genuine HP ones £45 - £50 each and theres 4. If you get the update on the software your HP printer will not accept the pattern ones. I use ebay ones 4 for £40 and they last about a year!

i have to admit ive pretty much gone from laser to inkjet. they seem more reliable, and the ink is fairly cheap compared to a new / recon toner
Really?

My (now 20 year old) Laserjet 5 was a picture of reliability.A toner lasts years and years and years, and costs about £10.  Never dries up, never goes wrong.

Now perhaps we were unlucky, but the POS Lexmark inkjet printer costs a fortune for ink, you can measure the number of pages for a cartridge in hundreds, and if you  leave it a long time without being used, it dries up.

ah, the good old lexmark,

the ink costs more than the printer,,,,,,,,,

have you ever looked at how much it loads your CPU when printing too  :eek:

its so basic that it needs your computer to actually tell it how to print,

I have an HP, works spot on in Linux, and in fact, even works without a PC, can scan/photocopy  without the PC being turned on,

heck, it can even print without the PC, I just email it whatever it is I want printed,  :D

We seem to get a lot of plans sent pdf and A3.

My HP Muti Function Networked Printer is about 3 Years old now and does not print A3, so I'm looking for an inkjet or laser multi function networked with scan, copy, fax etc.

If anyone can recommend one I would appreciate it.

Really?

My (now 20 year old) Laserjet 5 was a picture of reliability.A toner lasts years and years and years, and costs about £10.  Never dries up, never goes wrong.

Now perhaps we were unlucky, but the POS Lexmark inkjet printer costs a fortune for ink, you can measure the number of pages for a cartridge in hundreds, and if you  leave it a long time without being used, it dries up.
yes. i have a few different lasers, mostly HP & samsung. have a brother ink at home which gets used far more than the HP laser. at the office i recently bought a brother all in 1 A3 ink printer, like it more than the samsung laser it took over (although the laser is still in use).

the brother at home is a fairly old one, probably at least 8 years old. always been in use, although not a great deal until a few years ago. so far its still going strong, despite a few lasers failing in the same time

Last edited by a moderator: