BS7671 history and the future?...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I struggled to find the pertinent points TBH    until  Sidey  focused in on them above .  

I am frustrated by stuff like  ...RCDs on ALL lighting circuits  .....    that sounds like something plucked out of the ether just annoy the trade.  

As a prolific writer & emailer to all & sundry  I would certainly comment IF  they published just the changes  & additions .    I'm sure they delight in clouding everything in  waffle &  technospeak .  

I approached the ECA  when I first came across the plastic plumbing fittings .   I'd just spent half a day running  Main Bonding to  the incoming water ....fitted the clamp in the approved position ......  returned upstairs  to find the plumber  had chopped that pipe  and fitted a plastic tee  .........so I'd actually bonded 2 mtrs of copper pipe .  

I received short shrift from their  Tech Dept in London  I have to say .   

As far as I can see the whole thing is, as it as always been, a money making exercise! It will also cost a lot of people their credibility if you ask me, if changes are made that are retrospective, then it could as I said earlier,damage trust and credibility. Suppose an electrician has maintained a customers installation for a number of years, all in compliance with the regs, then along comes this change and it's retrospective, how many customers will understand this, and not think they've been ripped off by the previous spark?

Lets suppose as one member has said that to add an extra socket you have to start banging rods in and rcd'ing everything, how's that going to look? The client had a socket added the previous year and it cost him say £60, now this other spark comes in and wants £400 or £500 for the same job, because all these other things now have to be done. It's going to go one of 2 ways, either the first spark has ripped them off by doing shoddy work, or the second one is trying to rip them off by doing un-necessary work, that will be the conclusion a lot of customers will leap to,I 'm sure we've all seen it before, a reg changes, a customer can't have something done like they used to and they start querying the job.

I haven't read the document, however I wonder if they are still proposing the use of AFDD's, these in my opinion are pointless, and cannot be easily tested, certainly not by the average spark, not without test gear costing many thousands of pounds.

If we are as it sometimes appears, going down the American route, then it will at least save a lot of money on test gear, and the annual calibration of same, because quite simply we won't need it!

I remember discussing testing with a yank, and he was amazed at what we do, basically they do a "bang test", wire it up, power it up, and if it doesn't go bang then it's all good. by and large they only use an insulation tester, and then only if there is a problem, now how can that be safe? But let's face it, I suppose in the current climate where it seems the norm to blame the spark for everything then I'm surprised there are any sparks left!

I remember 2 particular cases, one of which I was involved with, the first was the death of the mp's daughter, responsible in no small way for part P. Her husband had installed a rack, on a wall, in line with 2 sockets, he'd damaged a cable and this resulted in the rack becoming live. Despite people complaining of receiving shocks, before the fatality, nothing was done.Now one of the absolute basics of DIY is NEVER, drill in a horizontal or vertical position where there are sockets, and vertically above or below a switch. This guy chose to ignore this and sadly a life was lost,yet they seemed more interested in chasing the electrician than the idiot who fitted the rack.

The second, and one I was personally involved with concerned a council house where we had wired the heating. The tenant had received a shock and there was a major investigation, they dismantled, inspected, tested, and photographed, every part of the work I had done! It later transpired that the shock was due to him attempting to change a light switch in another part of the house, absolutely nothing to do with me, and I must add, carried out AFTER I had done my work, yet the focus of the investigation seemed set on blaming me, which fortunately they were unable to do. What upset me most of all was that although I was proven to be in no way responsible for the incident, at no point did anyone appologise to me for all the stress I was put under.

i have loads of work, as a sole trader, commercial and domestic. I am booked well into October. I dont advertise and my phone does not stop ringing.

Everywhere i go i am told how hard it is to find an electrician, get one to come out and actually do anything. Most people are very greatful that i just turn up as arranged and do what i agreed.

I cant imagine things been made too difficult for us,  people are deperate for good elctricians. Any less of us will just make it even harder for people to get anything done.

i have loads of work, as a sole trader, commercial and domestic. I am booked well into October. I dont advertise and my phone does not stop ringing.

Everywhere i go i am told how hard it is to find an electrician, get one to come out and actually do anything. Most people are very greatful that i just turn up as arranged and do what i agreed.

I cant imagine things been made too difficult for us,  people are deperate for good elctricians. Any less of us will just make it even harder for people to get anything done.
or it will all backfire spectacularly, people will resort to diy, after all it's easier these days to find information than it has ever been, even if the info isn't always correct, and that's the trouble, most people don't know that what they are being told is wrong. It's only when something happens that they realise they were given duff info!

Lets be honest part P isn't enforceable is it? nobody checked every home to see how many sockets etc were fitted, and as we discussed in a recent post, you can have paperwork for every little job done, but at the end of the day, when you come to sell your home the buyer will want an EICR done. Think of it this way, as professionals, we should always test any work we do, and we should also issue paperwork, now suppose swmbo comes home with a new light fitting for the lounge, ok we may do a set of tests after we fit it, we may not, personally I know the IR is fine so I'll just do an earth loop(shock horror) one thing I never do is fill out a minor works cert, and if we're honest, I bet most of you don't either.

However at least we know what we are doing, it may not be technically correct, but it's safe, however if a person with no technical knowledge and no test gear start lobbing things in, then safety goes out of the window!

There is no requirement for MWC on like for like changes, only modifications.

So you can change lights, switches and sockets as like for like maintenance without certification, however, the requirement is still that the circuit is proven safe.

Certification is only required when changes to the fixed installation are made, changes to accessories and current consuming equipment do not class as changes to the fixed installation.

read through most of it, did comment (their online comment thing didnt work so ended up emailing it instead)

I don't think that emailed comments will be looked at Andy, I can try and find out, I would like to know.

You'll have to let me know which email addy you used & I'll ask.

Not really no.
It was put in to stimulate debate within a company, some companies will use it to fail electrical installations, some will not, either way it was never a crime to not have red protection, it appears it is now! P.s I wrote it.. glad I got u thinking

"Cause change fatigue across the industry"

thats a bit of an understatement IMHO. 

I do do wonder how many sparks fall off the bandwagon each time seemingly senseless, I'll thought out changes are forced on us.....

madness

all these people think about is change for profits sake, and that's their profit, not ours ......
That was my polite way of saying the industry is F***ed, come on this was for non sparky directors

I will be honest I took a look & gave the link out at the wholesalers, most who I spoke to thought it had been written in such a way that readers got bored & gave up.....

Until I gave the link nobody at the counter had any idea where to get details or even knew they had the opportunity to comment, most gave it the "decision has already been made so why would we get listened to?" unfortunately at the bottom of the electrical trade pile, trust of the governing bodies (no matter who they are) & changes they impose is non existent.

As for the slide show .............excellent & in my opinion should be passed round wholesalers & displayed on a monitor on the trade counters!

wow! thanks a lot I wrote it to present for my sparks! I actually have revised it and expanded on arc fault detection.

the whole document was authored for two reasons.

1. teach people the history of the book

2 stimulate conversations where senior bods would have to take notice.

paul meenan  a former hairy arsed sparks from Tottenham, cant call me it now, couldn't bend a pipe now to save me life. 

Hello one and all.

I'm Paul a hairy arsed sparks from Tottenham, London. I wrote the presentation. I've been off tools for about 10 years, worked me way up fighting and arguing.

I see what is happening in the industry and don't disagree with most of the views, I'm not a fan of RCDs and arc fault are worthless and cannot be tested! I am a fan of sparks knowing their stuff and being able to design build and test and inspect and certify their own work with pride.

cannot comment on JIB, not allowed to use that language. cant also pass comment on manufacturer led changes in industry or our voluntary regulatory bodies.

I can tell you all this, if you want to the trade can change, it has had a kicking for 20 years and will take 20 to fix it, but change is and can come....

Feel free to email me or contact me [email protected]

Please may I ask if you share the PowerPoint (or display in wholesaler) you leave my name in at the end as credit for the work I put in at weekends.

and yes it is to stimulate comments, and there is an underlying story behind all of the lines you are commenting on!!!! remember the trade is in a fractured state!

@ProDave o.k. just for you.

So the whole idea was to train my sparks, get a debate going and brief directors of my company!

The regs history was a because I was fed up with knowledge hoarders in our trade... to many at all levels.

The comment all installs would fail an EICR has been amended to all installs may fail. The reason this was said was because under the contract my maintainers have, there is a requirement that they will perform an EICR every three years. 100% of the installation.

WHAT I hear you scream but all EICRs are undertaken to current editions, and yes you are correct. However in my world where a gap exists between new regs and old this goes into a work bank. This work bank then goes to a project department. The project team are under the delusions that the work bank is defects that are identified from failed installations fail.

So perceptually the installs are seen as having failed even though anyone with a brain knows regs are not retrospective, in fairness a lot of people who are not sparks see it as an opportunity, plus the inspectors in their opinion will see it as an opportunity for job creation... heaven forbid unionised sparks job creating! This lead to this one liner to stimulate debate!

I have met enough sparks and cowboys to know it will be abused and people forced to comply due to a lack of applied thought

hope this calms you.. it was meant to stimulate the question, and the fact is a lot of unethical cowboys will fail installations, I do not see the IET and certsure advertising to the public how to spot a cowboy campaign any time soon!!!

Thanks Paul. I thought you had read somewhere that the new version would be retrospective.

EICRs are very open to interpretation. I was discussing in another place an EICR done where the tester had put a C2 for not having an RCD test label on the CU. To my mind that put into doubt his technical expertise and every other item he had coded, because there is no way a missing label is "Potentially dangerous, Urgent remedial action required."

Thanks Paul. I thought you had read somewhere that the new version would be retrospective.

EICRs are very open to interpretation. I was discussing in another place an EICR done where the tester had put a C2 for not having an RCD test label on the CU. To my mind that put into doubt his technical expertise and every other item he had coded, because there is no way a missing label is "Potentially dangerous, Urgent remedial action required."
The trouble is Dave, a lot of people these days have forgotten the phrase, "good for continued service"!

In this day and age, with the claim culture being as it is, I think the IET et al, need to be very careful what they are doing, their blatant attempts to change things just to raise revenue, and lets be honest, most of the time that's all the changes are for, could come back to bite them. I would ask you to consider this situation.

For years we fitted plastic consumer units without problems, then for reasons we've discussed here numerous times, the IET decides that they are no longer safe, now lets imagine that I've just purchased a new house, a very expensive one. now I bought this a few months before the reg changed, therefore I have a plastic CU, at the time of my eicr it is pointed out to me that it no longer complies with the regs, due to the plastic CU.

Here is where it gets interesting, it could reasonably be argued that, given that the plastic has always been combustible, the IET should have prevented their use many years earlier, and by failing to do so had been negligent in the extreme!

Simply put it's a bit like petrol, since it was first produced it was known to burn very well, it would be unreasonable for anyone to state for example that it was safe to smoke while handling the stuff, then years later to say, "well you can't smoke near it, it can catch fire". It's always been able to catch fire, so to to say you can smoke near it, then to say you can't, smacks of negligence, and could leave you open to prosecution, it's actual fact, not fiction.there are numerous cases where companies have been prosecuted for carrying out procedures, or using materials that for years have been known to be dangerous.

The trouble is, as we all know, most fires involving consumer units are down to incorrect tightening of terminals, which in my opinion is down to a lack of proper teaching, not the fault of the equipment.however this would mean the IET admitting that a lot of these training providers are not fit for purpose, something which we already know, however since these organisations provide a vast source of income for a number of people, from the trainers, the scams, even the test equipment manufacturers, nobody wants to rock the boat. Lets be honest, take books produced by the IET, we buy a copy of the regs, each time they are changed, as we do with other books, the guidance notes for example, now if there wasn't a constant influx of new sparks, then the IET would make less money from it's books, the scams would have less members, meter manufacturers would sell less test gear and so on.

We appear to  be the only industry that deals with a problem by creating another one, look at driving for example, do we only produce cars that won't exceed 30 mph in an attempt to prevent speeding? NO! We enforce the speed limits, so that only those who break the law are punished, do we fit all cars with devices to detect if a driver is unfit to drive due to drink? Again no, we tackle the drink drivers. Why if not for the sake of revenue raising should the IET et el, go down the route they have chosen? And that sir is my case for the prosecution.