Bt Homesafe Wireless Burglar Alarm System.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LinuxNewbie

Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone know how to go about resetting the default password on a BT Homesafe Wireless Burglar Alarm System please?

The manuals say that the default password can only be changed whilst logged onto your BT Homesafe account online (this service used to be provided by Intamac but is no longer offered by them). It's possible to connect to the panel directly via web-browser but unfortunately there are no options at all to reset the default password.

The panel is made by Climax in Taiwan as are the sensors etc. at a guess. Emailed Intamac and they're unable to help. Emailed the manufacturers also but whether they're able to offer assistance I'm really not sure.

Without being able to reset the default password the alarm system is not really useable which is a shame really as the kit seems to be reasonably well made.

Would be great should there be a possibility to telnet into the panel to determine what .htm pages reside on the device. Surely there must be .htm pages with a whole set of configuration parameters on there.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

BT dropped that way back in 2008, I wonder why.

It would seem that you can't do anything with it, other than to replace it.

mmmmm

if its a default PW why on earth would it need resetting?

its default,

do you mean you need to reset the PW back to default?

in that case, why?

have you forgot the PW you changed it to?

mmmmm

if its a default PW why on earth would it need resetting?

its default,

do you mean you need to reset the PW back to default?

in that case, why?

have you forgot the PW you changed it to?
Hello,

Because the default password is 1234 and this is not considered a difficult password for a burglar to try and enter into a panel.

yep,

so you simply change it to your own PW,

the default PW  will ALWAYS remain 1234 no matter what you change,

ALL alarms have a default PW, can you not simply put in a user PW,?

I dont know your particular alarm, but Ive yet to see an alarm where the default can be changed.

yep,

so you simply change it to your own PW,

the default PW  will ALWAYS remain 1234 no matter what you change,

ALL alarms have a default PW, can you not simply put in a user PW,?

I dont know your particular alarm, but Ive yet to see an alarm where the default can be changed.
This is what is seemingly not possible (being able to change the password).

Cannot understand how a default password will always be 1234 whether the user / installer has changed this otherwise the fact that there is a password set is meaningless really as guessing 1234 is not difficult as no doubt you'd agree.

Basically would like to change the password from 1234 to something else that is not as straight forward to guess making the panel a little less vulnerable to being tampered with.

The BT Home Monitor alarm installed previously used to have a default password however this was reset therefore I'm confused by what you've said.

Anyway should anyone on here be able to help with changing the password on a BT HomeSafe alarm panel this would be much appreciated. Surely this can be done despite the Intamac service having had the plug pulled.

Thank you.

ok,

a bit more info for you,

you need to try and add a PW, not change the default,

the default will/should then be only a default via 'crashing' the panel should something go wrong,

this should only be possible via the routes you already described, but as they no longer work, should you mess up in future, your system will be FUBAR'd

BTW,

its a user CODE

the default PW is actually an ENGINEERS CODE

probably,,,,,,,,,

ok,

a bit more info for you,

you need to try and add a PW, not change the default,

the default will/should then be only a default via 'crashing' the panel should something go wrong,

this should only be possible via the routes you already described, but as they no longer work, should you mess up in future, your system will be FUBAR'd

BTW,

its a user CODE

the default PW is actually an ENGINEERS CODE

probably,,,,,,,,,
Hi, Apologies for the confusion. There are no options to change a password nor to add a password.

Everything was cloud based with this particular panel via Intamac but the plug has been pulled on the service offered by them in conjunction with BT. Struggling to believe that it's not possible to configure the panel locally though but there's a distinct lack of available options whilst logged into the panel via web-browser. All that you can do is log into the panel set entry and exit delays, set the IP Address to DHCP or manual etc. You cannot even add/remove sensors.

It wont help much, but I have seen this before on an alarm panel where by you have to "download" a new manager code / user 1 code, you can not change it via the panel, (Change anything else though, no problem) so of course if you can't download you can't change the code. Gave up and changed the panel.

Perhaps that is one reason why BT dropped it back in 2008

It seems to me that as a user you can only set  / unset it (and view its Optional camera) remotely, you really want the equivalent of "engineers code" which you will never get.

I can only wish you luck, but still suggest you cut your losses and change it all.

ok,

so its not a wireless alarm at all then,

its a wi-fi alarm on an internet protocol,

as others have said, its now defunct with no backup,

junk it, its simply a doorstop,

there is a massive difference between wireless and wi-fi on internet.

It wont help much, but I have seen this before on an alarm panel where by you have to "download" a new manager code / user 1 code, you can not change it via the panel, (Change anything else though, no problem) so of course if you can't download you can't change the code. Gave up and changed the panel.

Perhaps that is one reason why BT dropped it back in 2008

It seems to me that as a user you can only set  / unset it (and view its Optional camera) remotely, you really want the equivalent of "engineers code" which you will never get.

I can only wish you luck, but still suggest you cut your losses and change it all.
Hi, Think that this was effectively binned by BT because whilst initially rolled out onto the market the kit was very expensive to buy and take up of their offering was very, very small. Agree that this is effectively an expensive brick in its form as it is.

Am wondering whether it's possible to disable the keypad so that the panel is usable as is considering it can be armed/disarmed via remote control.

ok,

so its not a wireless alarm at all then,

its a wi-fi alarm on an internet protocol,

as others have said, its now defunct with no backup,

junk it, its simply a doorstop,

there is a massive difference between wireless and wi-fi on internet.
The kit is a wireless alarm. It is not a WiFi alarm. The panel is a stand-alone alarm panel with wireless sensors. This was marketed by BT as a broadband alarm as Intamac used to offer remote monitoring and at a guess configuration via a user-console through a web-browser but as the service has had the plug pulled on it it's no longer configurable via web-interface. Am aware of the difference between WiFi and wireless. Agree this is effectively a considerably expensive brick as is but am thinking down the lines of should it be possible to disable the keypad the alarm is usable as it can be armed/disarmed via remote.

Thank you.

do you really need a wireless alarm,?

or do you really need a wi-fi alarm,,,?
Please read previous reply.

Sounds like a plan, but I know that some that you can download to need "authorisation" from the customer, they do this by pressing buttons on the keypad, so if you can disable the keypad, it may be best to have it easily reversible.

Just had another thought, suppose you can disable the keypad, and your internet connection goes down, you wont be able to turn it off, that could be "fun"

Sounds like a plan, but I know that some that you can download to need "authorisation" from the customer, they do this by pressing buttons on the keypad, so if you can disable the keypad, it may be best to have it easily reversible.

Just had another thought, suppose you can disable the keypad, and your internet connection goes down, you wont be able to turn it off, that could be "fun"
Hi, Think in all honesty there's little that this kit can do as is without the manufacturers advising what other htm pages reside in the box so to speak (convinced there are others that offer increased functionality, the ability to add/remove sensors, add users and passwords etc. etc. but without what knowing what the file-names of the htm pages are I'm at a lost cause). The BT branded pages offer severely limited functionality. Reading the manual quickly again there are references made to the Intamac service for arming/disarming the panel via them but there's no need to be connected to their service as the panel can be armed/disarmed via remote control (key-fob) and through a web-interface (the IP address of the panel itself can be entered and there's no need to enter an Intamac URL). But as I'd said there's no way and means to do anything where changing or adding a password is concerned. Doesn't matter whether there's an internet connection as the broadband side of things where the panel is concerned is defunct. Would like to use the kit as a standalone wireless alarm but with the password being 1234 to disable the alarm it really is useless in all honesty agreed.

ok, im gonna make this reply short,

going by your username, you are aware of all the **** on the net/pc options that proclaims to be good,

unfortunately you have a turkey,

how much time are you willing to spend trying to get this to never work how it should ?  [serious Q btw. ]

ok, im gonna make this reply short,

going by your username, you are aware of all the **** on the net/pc options that proclaims to be good,

unfortunately you have a turkey,

how much time are you willing to spend trying to get this to never work how it should ?  [serious Q btw. ]
No longer willing to discuss this with you as believe your reply is offensive.

Google bye.