Thoughts On Which Type Of System To Go For

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no, Aico are mains interlinked. look at them if you want a normal system independent from security alarm. you can also get a relay base for these which could then link to your alarm if need be

i have the texecom smoke / heat detectors connected to the alarm

WHY you ask?

My reason for WHY is because I am out of the country for extended periods of the year.

If I have my smoke/heats in a monitored system I will then be alerted if my house is about to burn down and I can then inform someone back at home.

It is not a necessity but it is something I would like as I am building the house how I want it.  So if it costs more then so be it.

Fit a sprinkler system then.  Residential systems are very discreet, and there's no delay while your alarm tries to contact you while you're in transit to / from some other country.  And you'll still have a house when you land, rather than a missed email, call or text message,

The reason for the query on here is to find the most practical and robust system and something that will actually work not to be shot down in flames.

Also my neighbours have keys to my house for this exact reason while I am away.

Interesting thought, thanks.

Is it the Aico one you have back to your alarm system then Andy?  Low voltage ones I presume?

Right done a bit more digging and think I'll be going with a Texecom system with the GSM module to allow remote monitoring and messaging.

Decided to go with the AICO detectors with an relay accessory which will wire back to the Texecom.

Decided to have the separate system for CCTV but haven't managed to do as much research on these yet other than looking at specs on the sites that are selling the texecom systems.

With regards to CCTV can anyone put a brand forward for recommendation?

We all know that analog cameras carry their signal over coaxial cable, I.E. cord that you used to plug into the back of your old 24‘’ TV.   The maximum resolution that an analog signal can do is 640×480, which is probably lower than the resolution of your phone camera.
While digital cameras carry their signals over Cat5 cables…the same thing you plug into your computer.  With the help of a digital signal, the resolution is perhaps equal to that of your new HD flat screen TV at home. (just have a rough compare)

But if you do a bit of research you will find out that AHD (analog high definition)cameras have a high resolution as well as digital cameras and work better comparing with analog cameras. Also high resolution means a bigger budget than analog cams.

No preference as long as picture quality is good.

What I be correct to presume a digital system had better quality?

Since you are willing to spend the money, have a fire alarm, not smoke detectors, but a proper fire alarm.

As for having it notify you, as has been suggested what happens when you miss the call, or are in a bad reception area ?

Then what happens when you call your neighbour and............they have gone out.

If you really want to bush the boat out, have it with confirmed detection, and have it call the fire brigade. (No, i  am not joking)

OR

Also as has been suggested, have a domestic sprinkler system installed, and unlike the movies only the one which detects the fire activates, have a look into it, I have seen one fitted in a house, because the owner wanted to, I only knew it was there because I knew what to look for, you only see a small white disc on the ceiling.