Buzzing voltage reducer once the solar inverter is powered

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgwestray

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I am hoping that someone one her may be able to help me.
I have just finished installation of a off grid Solar system. However I have come across a problem.
When i run the 240v system in the caravan from a mains or generator source everything works fine.
Once I switch over to the 3000w peak 6000w inverter the voltage reducer in the caravan starts to buzz.
There are three 240v outlet fuses in the consumer box. The two that don't use the power reducer work fine. Powering my TV fine. The fuse that powers the reducer works fine and does not trip. However the reducer buzzes like a nest of hornets. It powers the 12 volt circuit and 240 circuit it supply's. But it deffo should not buzz like it is. Switch back to mains or generator feed the buzzing stops. ????

Any ideas what I have done wrong please

Last edited:
Is there any load of the 12volt side of the converter? Does load affect the buzzing? Does a "mains" load in parallel with the converter have any effect?
Just things I would try to help work out what's happening.

Although I'm a caravanner I don't know what is inside the 12volt unit these days. Older ones were more or less just a battery charger.
I'm wondering if the virtually unloaded output of your inverter loses its "modified sine" form and becomes more of a square wave.

Hello everyone.
I am hoping that someone one her may be able to help me.
I have just finished installation of a off grid Solar system. However I have come across a problem.
When i run the 240v system in the caravan from a mains or generator source everything works fine.
Once I switch over to the 3000w peak 6000w inverter the voltage reducer in the caravan starts to buzz.
There are three 240v outlet fuses in the consumer box. The two that don't use the power reducer work fine. Powering my TV fine. The fuse that powers the reducer works fine and does not trip. However the reducer buzzes like a nest of hornets. It powers the 12 volt circuit and 240 circuit it supply's. But it deffo should not buzz like it is. Switch back to mains or generator feed the buzzing stops. ????

Any ideas what I have done wrong please
It sounds like you have installed a modified sine wave inverter, these can cause major problems with some items of equipment. You need to install a pure sinewave inverter and all will be good. I have seen this loads of times during my caravanning times, a neighbouring caravan had a MSW inverter, his wife's hair straighteners caught fire, be careful.
MSW.jpg

Last edited:
It sounds like you have installed a modified sine wave inverter, these can cause major problems with some items of equipment. You need to install a pure sinewave inverter and all will be good. I have seen this loads of times during my caravanning times, a neighbouring caravan had a MSW inverter, his wife's hair straighteners caught fire, be careful.
JohnB looks like you have hit the the nail on the head my inverter is a modified sin wave, I have attached its specifications. I thought these were the latest units. It was expensive enough lol.
I will order a pure sin wave unit and see how we go on then. Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220927-070241_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220927-070241_eBay.jpg
    516.7 KB · Views: 1
Well thank you everyone for your input and a big thank you to Johnb2713 for your advice. I can confirm that I installed a pure sine wave inverter today and the buzzing stopped from the voltage reducer.

So the problem was that I was using a modified sine wave inverter which was coursing the buzzing problem. Once I switched it for a pure sine wave unit all was good.
Thank you all

Well thank you everyone for your input and a big thank you to Johnb2713 for your advice. I can confirm that I installed a pure sine wave inverter today and the buzzing stopped from the voltage reducer.

So the problem was that I was using a modified sine wave inverter which was coursing the buzzing problem. Once I switched it for a pure sine wave unit all was good.
Thank you all
Good man, glad to help.

There are a few items that really dont work well with MSW to a point of becoming dangerous. Pure Sinewave is the solution and in reality, not that much more expensive.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Latest posts