Cable duct

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couleddie

Reaction score
New one for me - need to organise ducting for a new supply entry to internal meter position. 38mm. Electricity Association (EA) Technical Specification 12-24.

Anyone got any info on this?

bit of 2" waste with double 45's on it and a bit of blue rope and they usually happy enough,

or you could go to your supplier and buy one of their hockey sticks, thinking about it, some wholesalers do hockey sticks too dont they.?

I have laid conduit and hockey sticks and left them to it, I have also just laid soil waste and they never seem to mind as long as its in the right place.

Last one I laid was about 60M and it was done in electrical marked conduit bought from Jewsons, any bends will have to be gradual and make sure its connected so you dont get any snags when pulling through the cable.

thanks zee, I agree about the specs, but Im with G-H on this, they dont usually mind as long as its in the right place and easy for them to pull through.

bit of 2" waste with double 45's on it and a bit of blue rope and they usually happy enough,or you could go to your supplier and buy one of their hockey sticks, thinking about it, some wholesalers do hockey sticks too dont they.?
will this one be suitable

GNS007_stick.jpg

:coat

Hi Couleddie,

I am only a newbie, but i am on my second "new supply" in a year as it were.

From what you say, [but i might have this all wrong] I presume you are sort of "half way" through trying to arrange a new supply to a "new build" or whatever.

Anyway, what i can tell you though, is this, the DNO's VERY DEFINITELY set requirements for ducting for their service cable to go through, [which is, as i have said, what i presume you are trying to arrange] and unless it is right they are quite likely to simply walk away.....all depends on the particular cable jointers that turn up to do the install, some might not care, others will...

Reason for this, is that once the service and cutout is installed, it becomes part of their network, they "adopt" it as it were, so they want it how they want it, to their standards.

Funnily enough though, they do not adopt the meter box or hockey stick itself, so that if it ever gets damaged, they will not be interested, other than charging you to fit a new one!

The good news is though, that for both of the ones i have done, once you have paid the bill to the DNO for installing the new supply in the first place, they will GIVE you all required ducting, and a hockey stick if required, and a meter box too [if you need one] all for nothing, it is all included in the original price they give you.

Just go along to their stores with proof you have paid, and tell them what you need, [and they will check with the office bods, so you cannot say "I will have 2 miles of duct and 37 meter boxes!] and they will just go and get the stuff!!!

Yes, you can just go to Jewsons or where ever and buy ducting and hockey sticks etc, but so far as i know, each DNO has different requirements, they certainly do where the size of meter boxes is concerned. I had to use 4" diameter ducting for both of mine.. but as they supplied it, i was not worried about the cost!!

john..

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 13:39 ---------- Previous post was made at 13:37 ----------

Just noticed this post is rather old!!! oh well, i did try to be helpful !!!!

john...

John as you say all DNO are different some do not allow cables to go up cavity anymore because they are worried somebody may drill through it in the future so it has to be surface on outside wall. With new supplies they will give a guide to what they want.

Don't do as the builder on a new build I was doing did:

He thought he was being clever and burried a bit of blue 25mm MDPE water pipe for the DNO to feed their cable through.

They rightly refused on the basis someone may think it was indeed a water pipe, and if they tried cutting through it there would be a bigbad day explode

Also , the DNOs will only accept black PVC for cable ducts ,.
Before I started working where i do, the DNO walked away from a job (feeder pillar for allotments i think) because the duct was the wrong colour - don't know what "we" installed but it was WRONG! :red card

There is a specific colour for underground ducts that indicate their contents, NJUG Std. IIRC

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:39 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:38 ----------

Though there may be a BS also.

There is a specific colour for underground ducts that indicate their contents, NJUG Std. IIRC
iirc:

black - LV

red - MV/HV

blue - water

yellow - gas

green - telecoms?

orange - streetlighting

grey - bt?

purple - communications for highway/motorway?

Latest posts