Cable to garage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What @Fleeting is getting at is that you need to make sure your current Ze, plus your projected r1+r2 of the cable (which gives you a anticipated Zs value for the circuit) is within the limits of the Max allowable Zs of the 50A MCB you intend to use. The Maz Zs value being different if the type of MCB is a B, C or D type.
Thank you, I can see I'm going to have to do a little more reading LOL.

Thank you, I can see I'm going to have to do a little more reading LOL.

Feel free to ask anymore questions.

You say you are a sparky by trade? do you happen to have any test equipement? either a stand alone loop tester or a multi-function tester?

Realistically, so long as you're not on a TT earth system or a TNS close to it's limit of allowable measurement. You should be fine, but only a external earth loop impedance test will tell you for sure.

Feel free to ask anymore questions.
Thank you

You say you are a sparky by trade? do you happen to have any test equipement? either a stand alone loop tester or a multi-function tester?
I served my time in the steelworks back in the 70's, all pretty heavy stuff there 32,000hp drives driven by rotary amplifiers etc. My last few years before retirement offshore as an ROV Pilot Technician, 11Kv tethered vehicle, underwater all exciting stuff LOL. I have access to test equipment dedicated to sparky trade from a mate, i do have good quality fluke meters etc myself.

Realistically, so long as you're not on a TT earth system or a TNS close to it's limit of allowable measurement. You should be fine, but only a external earth loop impedance test will tell you for sure.
Thank you, it has changed a bit from my time but Ive had a read at 18th edition re Ze & Zs etc, I'm sure I can get there.

J[/QUOTE]

Last edited: