Cable size from the consumer unit to inventer. 10-15 meters distance

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myky

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am new to all of this, so please bear with me. I don't want to hijack any existing threads, so I decided to start a new one.

Please see the attached picture of my consumer unit with a fusebox and a shed that measures 5.5x3m. Three-bed house with an electric car.

While I am doing my extension, I plan to run an armoured cable from the consumer unit to the shed for future use, hopefully for the solar panels project.

The shed is a decent size, and I think it can accommodate some solar panels on the roof + some on my extension.

What cable would you recommend? I am okay with using a slightly larger one if necessary.

Checking the post below, I am still confused between types.
https://electricianforum.co.uk/thre...-inverter-and-consumer-unit.56094/post-541429
Thanks, myky

Attachments

• IMG_1133.jpg
    IMG_1133.jpg
    930.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1134.jpg
    IMG_1134.jpg
    801.7 KB · Views: 0
Probably best just running a bit of ducting just now with some thin blue rope in it, that way when your project spec is clear you can pull in the correct cable / cables as there might be comms stuff involved as well.

Hi @roys

Thanks, So you recon best to get trunking ready? It won't be too easy, but I will keep that in mind.
Is there a cable that can be put in now that will be sufficient for a potential project? Something common that ppl do for a solar setup (average cable for average setup but with a bit of buffer/feature use) or something? Thanks, myky

can you check the inverter manual?

for example the solax manual tells you what cable you need and what AMP breakers.

example below.

also depends on how manual panels your going to be doing and what they can push
1678797152087.png

Hi @roys

Thanks, So you recon best to get trunking ready? It won't be too easy, but I will keep that in mind.
Is there a cable that can be put in now that will be sufficient for a potential project? Something common that ppl do for a solar setup (average cable for average setup but with a bit of buffer/feature use) or something? Thanks, myky

Why would running ducting not be easy?

Ducting is the best option and don't do any tight corners is my advice

Running a cable is fine but as mentioned you may need to add data cables in the future so trunking is the sensible way of doing it

Thanks all. I appreciate your input!

You convinced me to run duct instead. You referenced some data cable(s), what is that, ethernet cable or what?
Do you have any common simplified diagram of the wiring (just a generic one)?

Thanks, myky

Thanks all. I appreciate your input!

You convinced me to run duct instead. You referenced some data cable(s), what is that, ethernet cable or what?
Do you have any common simplified diagram of the wiring (just a generic one)?

Thanks, myky

Why do you need a wiring diagram for running ducting?

I'm not a sparky and imo just run the ducting. Then call an expert to pull the cables you need to connect up.

The diagram is needed just for me to understand how/from where that data cable will be terminated.
In my case inverter, batteries, and all kit will be sitting inside the shed (battery on the top).
CU inside the house. Thanks, myky

Tbf you don't need to know. Your electrician would know.
Your putting in the ducting to enable you/your electrician to put one in if needed.

The diagram is needed just for me to understand how/from where that data cable will be terminated.
In my case inverter, batteries, and all kit will be sitting inside the shed (battery on the top).
CU inside the house. Thanks, myky
Cable from meter tails to battery inverter

drop in some cat5 or cat6, these can be used for the ct, also, drop in some thin rope or strong string to help pull other cables through in the futire.

always run two cat5's they are cheep and you can use one for internet or phone or wifi backhaul in the future.