Cable Termination

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

How would you all terminate cables in a plug [say a 5 pin red one] If you want to do a proper job just sticking them in and doing the screws is out, as there is a reg against that anyway, Bootlace ferrules are not long enough, soldering the cable end is apparently not too clever either, which leaves crimp on hooked blade terminals,

What you lot do........

john..

App,

BS7671, does not apply to plugs on equipment as they are not part of the fixed install, else what he said!

You can tin the ends, but it has to be done right, you can put them in bare, but again this has to be done right.

Are we talking about a 3p + N = E  Commando type 32A  plug ?   

Why is there a problem ?  I just connect them  ,  never seem to have a problem .   Which Reg is it that now complicates our lives even further ?

At the place I look after , all the small machines are connected via   16A  X 5pin plug & sockets . Enables them to move certain things about to suit production ..........I just connect them up ......so whats changed ?   

Hi all,

I sorted it! I just used two ferrules on each wire! I ALWAYS use ferrules, well bodgy to do otherwise i think...

The regs state; "In order to prevent inappropriate separation or spreading of individual wires of multiwire, fine wire or very fine wire conductors, suitable terminals shall be used or the conductor ends shall be suitably treated"

The regs go on to say; "Soldering [tinning] of the whole conductor end of multiwire, fine wire and very fine wire conductors is not permitted is screw terminals are used"

etc etc!!!

It only takes a second, and looks so much better when the job is finished too....

john....

More than one occasion I've even stripped the insulation off of insulated ones if I've run out of uninsulated. A bit anal maybe but I even use ferrules in plug tops.

As above the ferrules sort of "flare" one end to ease the wire in . Put the first one on then butt the next up real tight so it's flare goes over the first and crimp. Jobs a good 'un. If I'm doing stuff outside I even dip in silicon grease.

Who's going to start the "do you / should you shorten / re crimp RCBO fly leads" :coat

If you use SBS Dave's compact DP RCBO's, then you don't need to have this debate as they don't have fly leads :innocent

Andy Guinness
Funnily enough......I've just had a call about a job I was going to try an SBS unit on and I contacted Dave about a little while back. Will be my first from him. Elderly couple, semi-mobile & one with dementia issues so an all RCBO at a decent height would be a boon in terms of minimising inconvenience etc. We're talking knives in toasters type issues here too! Only 3 circuits at the mo, no RCD etc. Will be going round to discuss with their daughter later tonight.

Must have the wrong end of the stick with this one  !    

Obviously not talking about 415V  Commando style plugs ..all this about two ferrules  etc    :C
Allow me to proffer my musings on this, kind Sirrah.......

commando plug pins too deep,in body

strip flex for about 18mm....fit one ferrule, crimp it. Fit another ferrule onto,the dangly out bit from the end of the first ferrule., crimp it.  ( CRIMP, what a brilliant word.   C. R. I. M. P. , LOVELY)

make sure ferrule 2 fits into the end of ferrule 1

simples

just crimping

Well my thanks for the heads up on the double bubble treble ferrule method :innocent     Can't say I ever felt the need for them  in Commandos TBH  ,  ....ah  ...p'raps its a Midlands thing ...like Plart Plee  is different in Wales and doesn't exist in Scotland and thousands of sparks totally ignore it  :) .

Only ever used ferrules for loads of control wires or multi core flexibles going into a row of Klip-On terminals say . 

Eliminate the stray strand syndrome and easy to drop out for testing etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a crane come in from abroad years ago in part form that needed building up in our factory. We'd imported some of the supplier's staff too as labour to help out on various projects. My then governor asked me if he could have my ferrule kit as I was going on leave. Company kit and all that I handed it over. 

Came back to "So and so has wired it up but it doesn't work.........can you take a look?". The guy who had bolted the control panel on to the main crane body had then been tasked with then fitting cables through stuffing glands and terminating them with bootlace ferrules. Trouble was he was basically an old iron fighter / welder type, think his actual title was "boiler maker".

He'd simply stuck a ferrule on the end of each UNSTRIPPED wire and crimped it on! :lol:

He said he thought the crimping action also stripped the wire. No prizes for guessing who then had to re-do it!