cables boxed in

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
evening all,

some pipes have been boxed in and there is loads of room for cables but, the pipes are running around the floor of a room. the 'box' is where the skirting would be and is about 300mm high and 150mm deep. i know there may be an issue with hot pipes. but is it ok to run cables in this type of box?

thanks

I would be cautious. Even though the cables may be away from the pipes ie not touching, the 'ambient' temp in the boxing will be considerably higher. Assuming that it is heating pipes in the box....

I would be cautious. Even though the cables may be away from the pipes ie not touching, the 'ambient' temp in the boxing will be considerably higher. Assuming that it is heating pipes in the box....
ha, i will take a pic tomorrow of what the guys who rewired the place have done.

its only a spur, that will never be used.i was more conserned about the zones issue

thanks chaps
just silcone a face plate to the wall job done:D

as far as your zones go as long as cables are 50mm from the surface they are deemed 'safe'. This is because its impossible for people to buy screws/ nails longer than 50mm.

Are you refering to zones in a bathroom, or safe zones for cables concealed in walls?

I don't think that boxed in cables are considered to be concealed in walls.

as far as your zones go as long as cables are 50mm from the surface they are deemed 'safe'. This is because its impossible for people to buy screws/ nails longer than 50mm.
wonder where those 3 & 4" screws in my screw tray came from?

sorry, lurch had it correct I left off the smileys at the end, must be too knackered to think properly.

Wher did you get this info from?

Either everyone is having an off day, or it's a forum full of sparks with no knowledge of a sense of humour or sarcasm. ;)