cables in cavity in conduit?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas123

Reaction score
Is this allowed by the regs? If so, could someone provide me with the regulation reference please.

Cheers

My understanding is that it is not, the concern being tracking of water from one leaf to the other.

Even if it were, you would need to rate the cables for being in insulation. I think it's fair to say these days that it won't be long before all cavities are filled.

My understanding is that it is not, the concern being tracking of water from one leaf to the other.Even if it were, you would need to rate the cables for being in insulation. I think it's fair to say these days that it won't be long before all cavities are filled.
That is a fair statement and one shared by many but not entirely true.

Cables can pass through a cavity providing they are protected against damage (environment) easiest way is to use conduit, of course galvanised would really be the only suitable type, but I have used plastic and I would think most people do.

Consideration should be given to any breach from one skin to the other and steps taken to make sure it meets requirements under building regulations.

The regulations involved can be multiple, like sound, water, size the list can go on.

As long as all building regulations are adhered to then yes you can pass a cable through a cavity in conduit.

In fact you can even run cables in a cavity as long as they are secured to the inner leaf. The only way to achieve this realistically is to install them during build time so its unlikely to happen but useful or a conservatory maybe with its dwarf walls.

Ah, yes. I see where you're coming from GH & Ian. I was thinking more about cables running vertically or horizontally within the cavity, rather than cables just passing directly from inside to outside.

Cables just passing through: i usually use plastic conduit (or heating tubing if it's a small cable) and angle it downwards slightly toward the outside to prevent water tracking inwards.

Cables running in the cavity: yes that makes sense that it's permissible provided they are properly fixed and don't bridge the cavity. As you say probably most appropriate on a dwarf wall for a conservatory where there's not going to be any plastering inside.

thanks