Cables pulled tight in CU coding

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprocketflup

BDSM SUB & SWAGFAG™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doing an EICR in a property where the cables inside the CU are pulled tight to reach their terminals - looks like someone couldn't be bothered to lengthen them in any way when replacing the CU so configured the the new board so they'd reach. They do reach but are quite taught.

Everywhere else the cables are all supported fine (LIM), It's juts inside the CU they're tight.
I'm fairly sure there's a specific reg/coding for this, but I can't seem to locate it. Little help please?

Sprocket

Doing an EICR in a property where the cables inside the CU are pulled tight to reach their terminals - looks like someone couldn't be bothered to lengthen them in any way when replacing the CU so configured the the new board so they'd reach. They do reach but are quite taught.

Everywhere else the cables are all supported fine (LIM), It's juts inside the CU they're tight.
I'm fairly sure there's a specific reg/coding for this, but I can't seem to locate it. Little help please?

Sprocket

Well obviously Good workmanship comes into this.. 134.1.1

Mechanical strength of joints 134.1.4

Are they so tight as to impair access for inspection / testing etc.. 513.1
e.g. difficult to work on some circuits due to adjacent wiring tight across terminal entry points?

But with regard to EICR codes the two key questions always have to be:
[1] Does the current arrangement present an immediate danger to people, property or live stock.
[2] Could the current arrangement present a possible danger to people, property or live stock.
(e.g. in this instance.. could the joints be pulled apart by movement of the cables external to the CU?)

If not all you could possibly do is a C3 for dog-rough workmanship!

You get the similar, (possibly worse), problem when accessories don't have enough slack to open them up!

So the terminations are never fully tight. and if you try to move the accessory away from the wall wires fall out of terminals..
[At least with a CU you can remove the front cover without disturbing any joints.]

If it doesn't comprise the safety of the installation and is good for continued use and in the absence of any pictures I don't see any reason why it is neccessary to code it while it may warrant a comment that is a decision for the inspector to make IMO

Latest posts