Installation of an electric meter for tenants

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
quite so.
shame the op hasnt contributed further and I definitely wouldn’t be installing such a solution for a dodgy landlord to exploit a tenant

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/resale-gas-and-electricity-guidance-resellers
Who does it apply to?
Maximum resale price applies when any person buys

gas or electricity from an authorised supplier and
resells it to someone else for domestic use. It applies,
for example, when a landlord resells gas or electricity
to tenants in rented accommodation

If a landlord sets the rate to match the existing kwh rate + standing charge, then this should not be classed as passing the maximum resale price.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ectricity-from-household-rooftop-solar-panelsFrom this article it looks like we are allowed to sell generated electricity. Also there does not seem to be any rule on how much we can sell this back at, as of yet.

It would be useful to have good references to what people are stating and not really blurbing out things they believe to be true which are not actually factually backed.

It would be useful if the OP was clear and honest too
Could you clarify what was dishonest?

This whole post started to get pointers from skilled persons on this forum to advise on a possible set up to be done.

I did talk to ofgem about this question about 8 years ago and they didn't seem to have a problem with it. It's an excellent way to make solar more viable. If you charge the tennant less than they would normally they will be happy and it won't be profit for a long while, when you can revisit.

I found this in an Ofgem guide on 'On-site supply' -
"Allows the supply of self-generated electricity (either exclusively or in
combination with power procured from a licensed supplier) to consumers that
are on the same site. Ofgem has power to set the maximum prices charged
under these arrangements."

I don't think they have actually set a max. price for such a case.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/resale-gas-and-electricity-guidance-resellers
Who does it apply to?
Maximum resale price applies when any person buys

gas or electricity from an authorised supplier and
resells it to someone else for domestic use. It applies,
for example, when a landlord resells gas or electricity
to tenants in rented accommodation

If a landlord sets the rate to match the existing kwh rate + standing charge, then this should not be classed as passing the maximum resale price.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ectricity-from-household-rooftop-solar-panelsFrom this article it looks like we are allowed to sell generated electricity. Also there does not seem to be any rule on how much we can sell this back at, as of yet.

It would be useful to have good references to what people are stating and not really blurbing out things they believe to be true which are not actually factually backed.
the guardian article is just about selling export to elec suppliers. But see my later post below where Ofgem allow in site generation combined with supply.

There are plenty of industrial sites where the landlords sell PV and wind generator power to the renters of the units, can't see the problem.

yes it's even easier on industrial sites as they are not 'consumers' -

"The maximum resale price rule does not apply to gas or electricity resold for use at industrial and commercial premises, e.g. shops and offices."

What would you call the renters/tenants of an industrial unit that use the incoming electricity supply, if not consumers?

Thank you for your helpful replies.

I'm still waiting on my "phantom sparky" to come back, so in the meantime if it's not too much trouble, please may I ask a few more questions...

If we have a solar set up and want to install a meter for a tenant, would the meter count the tenant's usage? Or would the solar coming in somehow cancel out and pass through the energy without ticking on the meter?
Someone told me they think that solar generation may not count on a separate meter, but would be good to hear your thoughts.

would the solar coming in somehow cancel out and pass through the energy without ticking on the meter?
Someone told me they think that solar generation may not count on a separate meter, but would be good to hear your thoughts.
Modern meters don't clock backwards. You can buy meters that clock energy flow in both directions and calculate the difference - the display runs through the 3 numbers

Hello,

I'm looking to install an electric meter for a shared property with tenants.
At present, the electrics are shared and all going into a single consumer unit.

We are looking to do the following, but as unsure whether it would be the ideal way of set up.

1. Install Henley blocks after the breaker from the meter
2. Install a small breaker for the tenant side by the existing mains and connect to 10mm2 core cable.
3. Surface run 10mm2 core cable to the tenant side and connect it to an electric meter and then to a new consumer unit

The tenant side will have around 4x ceiling lights, 8 double sockets, 1 electric cooker, 1 electric oven.
Heaters will be movable oil heaters.

Could you advise if the 10mm2 core cable will be sufficient and also what size breaker would be ideal by the Henley block.
Also could anyone advise on a decent pay meter. I can deal with coins or card payments.

I will get a certified sparky to check and sign it off, but I would like to learn to do the leg work myself.

Thank you to all in advance.
you could go with installing a New MC Small Consumer unit [8 OR 10way] with a 200A DP Main Switch and Install 2 x 63A DP mcb's - one per Apartment
I suggest using a 6mm 3 core Armoured cable running from the New Board to the Apartment Consumer Units
This is much neater but depends upon the installation

But you can't profit from selling electricity you generate from your solar ..............
I know this is often said BUT if you go to a caravan site, many of them have metered electric hookups. A couple of years ago on one site I went to it was 90p kWh when the going rate was 10 to 14p thereabouts. I raised the issue with the caravan club (it was one of their certified locations) and I was told the legal position is you cant make a profit from selling the electricity but you can charge for the equipment and service supplying it.

I know this is often said BUT if you go to a caravan site, many of them have metered electric hookups. A couple of years ago on one site I went to it was 90p kWh when the going rate was 10 to 14p thereabouts. I raised the issue with the caravan club (it was one of their certified locations) and I was told the legal position is you cant make a profit from selling the electricity but you can charge for the equipment and service supplying it.
iirc you can't legally sell it for more than it costs, and you can charge extra to cover the admin / running of it either, however this only applies to residential and not commercial. id except caravan sites to not be residential

The OP is wishing to charge tenants, so also commercial, the cost of admin and running the supply is down to the LL, their costs for admin and or maintenance can be anything they like within reason.